View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #318
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It seems SoS is nice breaking point (one story ends there another begins with FfC). If you will hate waiting (I just somewhat forget about the series sometimes), just pick it up again after he releases DwD, and then maybe let it go and pick it up again after the last two.

I think this is exactly the problem. I am just finishing Storm of Swords (for the third time) and despite the various cliff hangers, there is just a ton of stuff that's wrapped up. Almost all of the mysteries from books 1-3 are solved (e.g., who killed Jon Arryn, who tried to kill Bran, the real story behind Tysha and Tyrion, why the Wildings were attacking the Wall, etc.) and it basically ends the War of the Five Kings, save for a siege or two here and there.

"Feast For Crows" was pretty much that. It was the various people picking at what remained of the kingdom. It didn't really move things along that much and the story archs setup in it aren't too terribly clear.

I imagine it was a very difficult book to write, as a Dance of Dragons would be. What does Tyrion do now? Does Dany just sit a rule? (If Feast did one thing, it did setup some very interesting potential in the east with various people headed towards Dany.) What happens at the Wall? What does Bran do? A lot of the characters are thrust into situations that very different from their progression in the first three books. I could see where he'd be struggling with it all.

While I sincerely hope he finishes, I can't imagine he'll be able to finish it all in 7 books as planned. It just seems too much time needs to pass (and Martin already scrapped his original plan set Book 4 X number of years ahead) for a number of main characters to be in a position to play a major role (e.g., Dany and her dragons and Arya).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote