View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #1480
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Alan it was hard to get a grasp, at least for me, of how many ingredients were theoretically in the game and how you balanced them. So someone having two of something wouldn't strike me as odd, especially early, as if there was a small amount of ingredients in the game.

I will say though that it seems like random.org had a large impact on gameplay as certain mechanics were never able to be used because of the dice rolls.

I don't think i explained fully how I balanced the ingredients and what came into play. I think arguably if you had 3 or 4 seer type potions pop into play this game would be crazy easy. What I did was made some ingredients more abundant than others by listing them multiple times in the ingredient list. There were also safeguards on some of the more powerful potions where if they were attempted a second time, they would just outright fail.

I think the number of potions that you all had the ingredients for (about 9 or 10 of them), combined with the recipes you got, led to about 5 or 6 of them being possible to be made which is about what I had envisoned, perhaps a tad on the low side. I think the two places that I was the most frustrated with random.org was the kitchen and the library. Hoopsguy had horrible luck in the kitchen/ Render getting the bodyguard item, and in the library there should have been another spell or two that showed up with as much as people went there.

I am not a big fan of random.org, but sure enough I keep using it heavily in games. Perhaps thats something I need to try to think about next game a way to replace the randomness and instead use some other mechanism to have non-predestined roles distributed.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote