View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #652
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 17: Dodge City at Chesapeake

Little to say here. We win here, and we earn a wild card. We lose, and we’re out. Playoff game, essentially. And it’s Dodge City and Isaac Mansour – lovely. We’ll see if we can hold him to fewer than 200 yards this week. That has been a real struggle for us.

**sigh**

Fitting start – we get a sack for force a punt, but then we promptly fumble away the punt return. Only saving grace is that they don’t go HOUSE with it, I suppose. They only cash in a FG from the short field, which at least speaks well of our defense in the early going. It could be worse.

We drive deep into DGC territory and then hand them the ball, and they march and stuff it right up our asses to take the 10-0 lead. This is great fun.

We do manage to regroup, and engineer a great drive to get Pearson into the endzone, so perhaps not all hope is lost yet. It’s still troubling to see their QB Bill Sampson go 11-for-12 in the early going – this could easily end up as another track meet game between these two games. In short order, it’s 17-7.

We get to celebrate, I guess (they say we did in the game report) when we settle for a long FG after missing on a bomb from 2nd and short, and then failing to pick up the 3rd and 2. Alas. Surely it could have been much worse.

We are very lucky to only yield a FG on their next possession – as we come up with a rare 3rd down stop. This game has a terrible feel to it – but maybe that’s just the whole season adding up in the back of my mind. They lead 20-10, but it feels like we have absolutely no hope of stopping them – unless, of course, the game opts to flip the switch on them. That’s what we saw against Mars last week, when suddenly our run D was a brick wall in the second half after giving up eleven yards a rush in the first (of course, we still blew the game… duh).

Honestly – I am wiring this in real time. My sense of dread really did come **before** the big screwing. Sedor pops a second interception to CB Billy Joe Scanlon (former Chit – at least one of our guys is going somewhere this year), and they immediately cash it in for the long TD pass before halftime. Awesome.

Of course, now that I am bitching so much – we get the tease, as we strike for a late TD and get back within 10 points by the half. I still predict gut-wrenching failure here – maybe a blowout loss would have been too kind? Perhaps we need to be close so the eventual crushing blow seems even more brutal? Stay tuned.

We open the second half with an 18-yard FG, which never feels that good. It obviously could have been a fumble to the HOUSE for them, so I can’t complain that much. We stop them, but they punt to our 1 yard line – this smells like trouble. We get a first down on a penalty, but the first “familiar” defense rears its head, and that might spell and end to our offense’s effectiveness soon. The laundry is all over the field on this “drive” and we end up punting after seeing a big play to Pearson called back. I guess I did something wrong with my coaching staff or something. Who the fuck can say?

They fumble the punt, but their “ground balls” stat (a la lacrosse) is just better than ours, so they don’t suffer for it. We actually come up with another stop – as we have turned the unstoppable DGC pass machine into a more human group, it seems – they are actually having a few passes fall incomplete. That’s new. If we an get the offense moving, we are only a TD down – despite my doom-and-gloom bluster.

See… I’m falling for it again. I’m thinking we might win. Heh.

We drive for a field goal, to pull within 4 points, at 27-23, early in the 4th quarter. And the fucking circus comes to town – we give up a 40 yard pass play right away, and then we get a pick that we take HOUSE 85 yards. This puts us ahead by 3 points – setting up a climactic conclusion of potentially epic proportions. There’s still plenty of time for two or three more absurd and heartbreaking things to happen – so hold on to your hats, gang.

We are aided by a “familiar,” one legitimate pressure, and then a stupid too-short pass on 3rd and 10 to force a three-and-out. Hardly a heroic effort, but we will certainly take it. They punt to our 2 yard line. Lovely.

We gat a couple of first downs to get out of our own goalpost’s shadow – but fizzle there and have to punt. DGC gets it at their 16, with 5:41 left on the clock. Another stop here would be huge.

Silly talk – they connect on two third downs, and get to our 45 with under 3 minutes left. Two dropped passes get us to 3rd and 10 – that’s not our defense at work, that’s just bad dice rolling, I reckon. We get a pressure to force 4th and 10 – will they go for it from our 45? With 2:19 left, I think thay have to punt and hope for a stop (or a freak play, that’s always on the table).

They go for it – and get precisely the needed 10 yards. Perfect. “And that is a first down.”

Pressure. Mansour. Thompson for six. Dodge City takes the lead. Awesome.

Just to twist the blade a bit – they **miss** the PAT, and it’s a 33-30 edge, with a little more than a minute left. How perfect is that?

Kick return gets us all the way to our 45 – great start. We get a 14 yard pass to a hobo off the street suited up to play WR, and are under a minute to play. A nice incomplete play coupled with a holding call – very timely, that – takes 13 more seconds and pushes us back ten yards. Just what we were looking for.

Pearson drops an apparently catchable long pass – good to see here. Making that play would have just made too much sense for us. We connect instead on a very effective 10 yard pass on 2nd and 20, with the clock ticking away. 16 seconds left, and it looks like we need a few yards to get within reasonable kicking range.

Of course – that ASSUMES that the game might actually make a reasonable decision, or even follow my instructions, in the waning moments. And we know that’s no lock. But just for kicks, I’ll play along and pretend like getting 5-10 yards here gives us a shot to tie the game. What the heck.

We instead go for the long bomb. That’s encouraging. Honestly – you just cannot make this stuff up. So, we tee up a 58 yard FG attempt… is there a way for the ball to just sit on the goalpost for 27 minutes before falling short here? That would be the ideal way to make this as painful as possible, but still cement away the loss that I have known as coming all along. Stay tuned…

“He didn’t get all of that one and it falls short.”

Great season everyone, now go hit the links!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote