View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #678
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another Impact Free Agent Chooses Chesapeake

Well, my suspicions about the FA market heating up were largely correct, but we did manage to get one player to come to Chesapeake, even in the face of some other competitive offers.

DE Roderick Burgess is a 10th year player, and his strong suit is stopping the run (my scout pegs him at 83 there). He’s a pretty solid all around player, at a position where we were thin – so I think he can really help us. I don’t yet know how to work him into a rotation, but I’m okay basically making him a situational substitute in run-stopping situations at both DE and DT. The second year of his contract is a doozy (reneg or release, for certain) so this year will be a decision – either we use him heavily and probably let him walk next year, or we use him sparingly this season in an effort to lock him into a longer deal afterwards.

In either case, this deal puts us pretty close to the salary cap (the hit this year is $6m), so we will be working to clear out still more space. And we still have several irons in the FA fires.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote