View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #136
Calis
College Starter

Hey I figure the fights are over so if you don't want spoilers you shouldn't be opening a thread about MMA, so here goes.

Dissapointed by Shogun, but I can't really say I'm terribly surprised anymore. I've given up on guys looking good coming over, at least immediately. I think he was fine early, not dominant but he was doing quite well for himself the round or so. He just gassed badly, real bad. I don't know if it was nerves or training or what but it wasn't something I expected out of a Chutebox guy, they usually have cardio for days. I'm not too saddened by it though because Forrest is a genuinely likeable guy and I'm glad to see him notch up a huge win. He was in a no lose situation and made the most out of it.

Chuck and Jardine I can honestly say I wasn't surprised by. Chuck has showed no ability in his career to beat competent strikers. He was manhandled I thought, and I really don't see how it was a split decision. Jardine tooks round 2 and 3 pretty convincingly imo. Chuck should probably go back to fighting wrestlers. This threw a pretty big kink into the huge Wandy vs. Chuck showdown in December. I'm of the opinion you still do it, they're both coming off two losses and I think they're both approaching the end of their careers, there's not a big time line left for this fight to be interesting.

Diego and Fitch I thought Fitch would take, and he did an awesome job with positioning and control but I almost thought Diego would get the win for his sub attempts and really he was the only one close to finishing it. I had it a pretty close fight. Diego was actually cool after the fight also, so I lost a little hatred for him, could a couple losses in a row make him stop being such a prick?

You know one problem I'm having with UFC is you have Rampage as your champion now, probably the most charismatic guy in MMA, and what is UFC doing with him promotion-wise? Nothing. I think he could go a long ways into building the UFC up if they put some limelight on him, let him commentate on a fight or two or do something, but nothing. I just think it's a huge missed opportunity.

Anyway, not too many thoughts on the card tonight as I was in a house full of kids and was only able to half pay attention to it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote