View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #5825
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sttfrk View Post
isn't the point of a sim to produce realistic/accurate stats?!? Yes, you can be appalled the game doesn't move the hashmarks, but the fact of the matter is that you can get results inline with NCAA statistics.

I am obviously not as concered about hashmark placement as you are and therefore would have no problem playing or participating in a college league run using MaxFootball. It appears to be a very huge point for you though, so I would recommend you not get the game until the hashmarks are differentiated between college and pro leagues. I would hope your seeming disdain for the game is based on more than just hashmark placement.

Yes, as I also mentioned, the types of plays you can run does not mirror what are run in real life college games. The hashmarks are a (big) part of it, just as having a 110 yard field is crucial to the CFL. Since one of the big differentiators of MaxFB is the ability to create plays, not being able to create a big portion of a college option offense is definitely a sticking point for me.

As for the quote about the stats, how those stats are derived is just as if not more important as the final numbers. We had this discussion a few pages back regarding when a game is simmed, the longest run is capped at 15 yards and the longest pass is capped at 40 yards. Take for example two rushers. They each ran 20 times for 100 yards in a game. Runner A carries 5 yards each of his 20 carries. Runner B carried 19 times for 1 yard, with one 81 yard run. The end numbers are the same, but the paths to generate them are very different.

It seems that from the stats we've seen from the game, the engine is going off of straight averages, and does not appear to use more complex math like Standard Deviation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote