View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #5841
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sttfrk View Post
I'm not saying that at all and not sure how you got to that conclusion from my posts. It is entirely possible to load the game and play a few games of NFL, CFL, or Indoor Football-style games. You will most likely have fun doing so. The problem for me seems to come when I want to put a league together and play several seasons. To get the type of results I want, I have to give each team different playbooks, different strategy profiles/settings, tweak the league rules, and modify some of the core game elements most people wouldn't even know how to find. Some would be very content running the game with the default settings and enjoying it. Some would spend several hours tweaking and setting up leagues to get the results they want, and others will play the default settings, not like the results, turn the game off and post what a crappy game it is without working to make it better. Not that anyone should have to work to make the game enjoyable to them.

If the quick sim engine was the same or produced the same results as the in-game engine, I would probably be several seasons into a league right now. But having to play out each game CPU vs CPU to get results is not possible for me right now. I have no reservations recommending it with the caveat that it can be a complex game to configure and use. Then again, the default settings may be exactly what you are looking for which would make the game seem less complex and still enjoyable.

And that's my point. The default playbooks don't even give a semblance of realism either. And don't get me wrong, I do realize it is much harder to tackle this problem in a 3D game.

All I am saying is that you are having he same issues here as you do in Madden, but there are way more headaches. The schedule it creates is crap. It doesn't have any draft, free agency, or trading options. It's graphics don't even compare. It doesn't record stats properly. You have to use a database to customize options (so you better hope you customers have Access available). There are still no interception return yards. There is only one type of pass.

The list goes on and the only difference is that I can customize my problems. That is why I can understand why you shelved it for a while. While the gameplay is harder to tweak, there are so many other things around it that are broken that makes the gameplay less worthwhile and I believe that is why some of the more dedicated user base has disappeared off the message board over there.