View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #275
wade moore
lolzcat

MJ4H you act like we're all saying David sucks. I don't think anyone has. I think we've all recognized that he has an amazing singing voice. It's the *performance* that some of us have not liked.

I view "Imagine" as one of the most emotion triggering songs I have ever heard in my life. Music rarely pulls emotion from me and Imagine does every single time I hear it.

David's performance was very technical sound and "flawless". It had no emotion for me. He's so polished that I can't get into the emotion of the song.

There is much, much more to music than technical ability. Maybe not for you, but for many, many other people. I can't tell the difference between perfect pitch and very good pitch. Often when a judge says they missed some notes, i'm clueless. I want to see a singer that I ENJOY. Some of the best musicians of our time, imo, were not necessarily the greatest singers.

Chris Daughtry is a good example. In the 2 (going on 3 now) seasons that I have watched he was by far the contestent I enjoyed the most. However, he is not a super-proficient technical singer. Put him up against Melinda Doolittle and I will pick Daughtry and give them 100 songs and I probably ENJOY at least 80 out of 100 songs that Daughtry does more (and that's probably generous to Melinda).

I see no purpose behind a pure singing ability contest. We don't need America for that. Get a computer that can analyze the intended notes and if it's on key and boom, there's your winner. Or get experts to select like you would in a real professional "singing contest".

This is a music star contest. There is FAR more to a music star than singing. This is not about "recreating Britney" and I think this contest has proven that. I think every winner (even Taylor Hicks) can sing better than Britney can - but every successful winner/contestant has had more to them than just pure singing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote