View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another Rule

Okay, thinking on it some more, I think I want to add one more rule. Right now, my rule governing restricted free agents is as follows:

-there can be only one year on any new offer made to a restricted free agent

The result here has been that when playing all out under these rules, I basically get to keep every draft pick for four years, period. I also have found myself trying to target decent-looking 2nd and 3rd year players, knowing that Ii can squeeze that 4th year out of them with a RFA extension.

So, instead, I think I want to make the rule as follows:

-there can be only one new contract with a restricted free agent outside the general limits

Basically, I get to sign one of my RFAs, to a multi-year deal if I like, in any season. Anything past that has to count against my rule of seven contract offerings.

Mathematically, I don’t think it’s a huge change – in a given season, instead of re-signing four to six guys to one year deals, I will be re-signing one guy to a three year deal, in most cases.

What I do like is that it makes some added pressure on me to try to get the longer-length rookie contract, which might actually make rookie signings a shade more interesting. if I end up in a bit of a numbers game just to maintain a full roster, then getting those 2nd and 3rd round guys to take a 4 year deal rather than a 3 year deal actually means something – maybe enough to be willing to suffer a holdout, which would be brand new to me.

So – that will be my new rule going forward. I get to pick one RFA for a new deal, however long I can negotiate, but that’s it each season… unless I want to occupy one of my wide-open slots for another RFA (which seems plausible that it could happen).

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-01-2008 at 07:24 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote