View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #58
Icy
Pro Starter

I guess we all would want the games to be patched forever and for free until we are happy with the $40 we expended, but we must remember that independent developers like Markus need to eat (yeah there is a huge difference between working to eat and working to to make a huge corporation even bigger) from their games sales. Releasing a free patch every new year would mean he would need to to stop to work full time in the gaming industry and look for another job like a lot of text sim developers had to do, what would mean the end of OOTP.

This is not only about Markus but about every other independent game developer, i get more pleasure expending $40 per year on an improved game that on a meal in a restaurant. It doesn't mean we must excuse poor programming or bugs, but we can't try to punish them forever either, or we will end letting our niche hobby to die. We need to find the middle point between pushing the developers to fix their issues and wanting to punish them for trying to earn some $$ every year, it's not that every patch released by Markus has been a paid one, in fact we have not payed for bug fixes for a full year, so i think we got enough from our $40, specially compared with what we can get with $40 nowadays.

I know some here prefer another developer philosophy, but i prefer to pay for an upgraded game every year than to let the developers to stop their game franchises, to have to look for a mainstream job or to have them to develop games i'm not interested on to try to survive.

I think sometimes we tend to confuse small developers with monsters like EA, while we keep paying for the EA updated rosters garbage year after year.

Last edited by Icy : 03-03-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote