View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #77
QuikSand
lolzcat

2032 Free Agency

Good news up front, RB Sullivan is playing ball and accepts my modest three year RFA deal. That gives me a lot more comfort at the RB position – if we sign a veteran or draft a rookie we will be three-deep, but at worst we have one versatile guy who can tote the rock for us this season in Sullivan. Nice.

CB Omar Carlisle indeed accepts a three-year cheap extension. My suspicion is that he will be an effective starter for us, and will be a pricey guy after that three years is done – but there was no way to get him to go longer than three, so we take it cheap and will deal with it when it comes due again. He’s really the first late-FA signee that felt like a heist, and then he boomed in camp the next year, even. Whoa.

QB Tito Daylo is not talking sense with a renegotiation, incidentally, so any thougths about keeping him quickly evaporated.

It looks like QB Swartz is thinking about something like $12m a year after this year – so we will assess that at year’s end, and if he comes off a big and healthy season for us, we probably do it. Our backup plan is to extend WR Bryant Czyz, but my guess is he will be cheaper in the open market as he is getting up in years.

C Pat Brierton fills a serious roster need for us, is an affinity with our OL leader, and is looking for a pretty affordable contract. I like having a run-blocker up the gut, and he looks like he ought to be fine for us – a three year deal leaves us the opportunity to make this a long term deal with this 5th year guy.

LB Darnell Abercrombie is nothing that special, but we make him an offer of 7 years, basically a three year deal. He’s a cheap affinity guy who can start for us at a thin position – money well spent, I think.

WR Orlando Seebaldt is a decent-enough guy to help fill in yet another thing position, and has some kick return skills. He’d be fine if we had to use him as a #4 receiver, though he might have some butterfinger issues. He can return kicks also. Affordable three year deal with tail end – he’s younger, cheaper, and likely more useful than Jeff Deberry.

I look around at RB – there is the usual assortment of decent backs out there, with many different mixes of skills. I’m thinking a short term deal, at least in practice, makes the most sense here – and I decide to use up some of our anticipated cap space, and work out a four year offer to 9th year RB Bennie Thornton, who has been alarmingly productive the last few seasons. He will make $22m in each of the first two seasons, but we can waffle next season if he takes a massive ratings hit or doesn’t earn the big bucks we have in mind. Last year Thornton posted 1,991 yards on 5.4 yards per carry for our division rival Carolina – so this guy has stats to back up the money he is seeking.

TE Dustin Edwards is actually looking for a 5yr deal, and we give him a solid offer – he will make $5m a season for the first four years, and I expect him to make a pretty formidable combo along with young Travis Buffington. Should make TE a position of strength for us, which will be a real change.

DE Lawrence Hanrahan is a short-term help at DE, where I’d expect him to start for this year. One year deal for $9 million, and we will contemplate a tag if he gives us a good year. Another slot in the starting roster where we really need one more guy.

That will leave the 2yr deal as the one we hold open for after the draft.

Reneg – CB Omar Carlisle, 3y $6m
RFA – RB Trent Sullivan, 3y $5.7m
1YR – DE Lawrence Hanrahan, $9m
2YR -
3YR – C Par Brierton, $8.1m
4YR – RB Bennie Thornton, $148m (essentially 2y $48m)
5YR – TE Duston Edwards, $55m (essentially 4y $25m)
6YR – WR Orlando Seebaldt, $102m (essentially 3y $6.6m)
7YR – LB Darnell Abercrombie, $134m (essentially 3y $6.7m)

I immediately lose out on WR Orlando Seebaldt, who takes a one year deal instead of our big backloaded one. So, we have a 6yr deal to hand out to someone – WR Jeff Deberry looks like a guy we could still use, and I have the luxury of waiting him out a bit, as nobody is offering his asking price. he eventually takes an offer for about $3m per season for three years, which will surely wipe out his remaining useful career. Fine by me.

We are at 45 players signed now, with every position covered for having a legal roster.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote