View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm not moving to it because of OOTP spite, but rather because I find OOTP lacking in a few critical areas and I want to answer those questions you are asking for myself.

Edit: The 24.95 price point is low enough that I won't feel that bad if it ends up being a bomb since I haven't bought the series for a few years.

It only took about an hour and a half to download the file.

Second impression. I really like how easy it is to set up the league. 5 choices on the main menu:

Modern which immediately gives you control of any team with real players and real minor league rosters as of 2008. All data looks realistic such as population, financials, etc. It took seconds to set up.

Classic which lets you pick any starting year from 1901 to 2007. I took control of the Phillies in 1920 and that went very smoothly. It then had appropriate financial, city population, etc from that era in the setup screen. This option uses the Lahman data and has an option to loads players stats from previous years. It took under a minute to set up with that option on.

Fictional which allows you to take over a fictional league any year from 1901 to 2008, but with real players stats loaded into the universe as a backstory if you choose. I didn't try that, yet.

Expansion: Take over either the Angels in 61, Senators in 61, Colts in 62, Mets in 62, Royals in 69, Expos in 69, Padres in 69, Pilots in 69, Mariners in 77, Blue Jays in 77, Rockies in 93, Marlins in 93, Diamondbacks in 98, or Devil Rays in 98. This mode already has the players on the team which I think is a mistake. I'd probably actually use it if I could shape the team from their first step. I hope that might be changed. Still took under a minute to set up.

Custom: For running a fantasy draft, setting up a custom universe, etc. I'll mess around with that later.

Again, there is something to be said for ease of use and ease of setting up.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-23-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote