View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #37
SteveMax58
College Starter

Wow Ant & DC...if I were to type up a description of my son, about 4-6 months ago...I dont think I would have edited 1 word your 1st post.

My oldest son, Gregory, is also 4 now(just turned 4 in March) and he was nearly identical, and still is in many ways. The lining up of objects, the desire not to talk, strangely comfortable not being potty trained, always gravitates and plays with girls, does not speak entire sentences, did not walk until 16 months(seemingly because he didnt "want" to), using the computer at 2, he could actually completely hook up the PS2 to the TV(complete with a/v wires, power, mem-cards, controllers, etc.) by age 2 1/2, understands complex instructions yet will not respond to simple questions(he was the same with not answering to being "hungry", but answers to wanting "waffles"), wants to do every ritual like opening the door for the dog and gets VERY upset if you dont let him do it, etc.

We had his hearing checked when he was 2 as this was the peak of his non-response period(he scored significantly above average) and then had him tested for autism (inconclusive, they did not believe he had autism based on his apparent intellect, which may coincide with what EF27 mentioned). Our pediatrician also said he does not see a reason to be concerned about autism or any learning disabilities and to just be very observant of his speech progress.

But it was difficult for my wife or me to understand why our otherwise "brilliant" son could not seemingly talk like other kids did(his cousins, neighbors), or be even remotely willing to sit on a toilet (he was too large for the potty seat by 4). As a matter of fact, our younger son(Jacob,22 months younger than our oldest) could speak words more clearly(the words that he did know, anyway), was willing to try potty-training, etc.

Well...like everything else that he did later, he is now potty trained as of late March(once he put a real effort, he learned quickly with very few accidents over a week or 2) and is now speaking in semi-complete sentences occassionally(and doing better each day/week it seems). He still doesnt use any more words than he needs to, but he now understands the "need" to communicate something more complicated than "I want waffles".

I wish I could offer some key insight(I could still use some TBH), but I really have just recently gone from thinking "we are just terrible parents" to "our son is just going to learn in a different way than others"(and I still occassionally go back & forth), but I dont believe thats such a bad thing really since I have always felt like I had an ability to absorb and learn very rapidly...but only in a precise way which only seems to work for me(nobody else that I have really met). It probably helps me to understand him better, since I feel like I have many of the same traits as him and perhaps I just "adapted", despite my feeling that my parents probably did not recognize some learning differences that I think I had growing up. Maybe this is more common than I realize?

Anyway, sorry for the novel...and while I'm certainly no expert or authority to listen to... I just wanted to let you guys know that you arent the only parents out there with the same thoughts and concerns. Perhaps you just have a really bright son who may have an unusual learning pattern, which may in fact be the reason he is capable of great things if he applies himself properly. Best wishes for you & your son.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote