View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

After my euphoria I realize two things

1) I had the halves set for 10 minutes, not 20. Oops.
2) Some idiot has us scheduled for 3 straight games. Not cool.

Our first of 3 games in 3 days is against Florida Atlantic. The Owls are 1-1 and boast a 75, 77, 68, 29 line. Talentwise, they kill us. Chemistrywise, we hold a very, very slight edge.

We stun the Owls' faithful and me myself by going on a 20-4 run to open the game and quickly take control of the contest. Garland Farrell is cleaning up on the boards and Vince Sanchez makes his presence felt on offense with a 3 pointer and some nice drives to the basket.

Florida Atlantic won't go down without a fight however and they start getting on fire as our reserves can't handle them defensively and struggle on offense. By the time the 10:00 mark rolls around, they've closed to within 27-20 and I'm starting to get a bit paranoid.

No problem as two 3-point shots, including one by Vince Sanchez, who already is in double digits, along with some other sensational shooting has us up 38-24 7:34 left in the half.

It's a lead that holds and extends as we just hammer them hard.

Halftime: Stetson 54 Florida Atlantic 37

Turnovers are a huge problem for them, as they have 10 already. Vince Sanchez leads all scorers with 14 points at halftime, Florentino Wilson throwing in 11 himself. Gerald Farell has 9 points and 7 rebounds, though most of the scoring is due to 5-5 FT shooting, as he's just 2/7 from the field.

All in all, we're playing fantastically right now. Percy Brooks is arguably our most complete halftime player, with 9 points, 4 rebounds, an assist and 4 steals. Clearly our star player, for sure.

Five minutes into the second half, Gerald Farrell has hit his shot on our first three straight posession and Vince Sanchez breaks 20 points on a pair of free throws. We're up 69-46 and the only question is if we'll manage to break 100 points.

88-57 at the 10 minute mark and we're pretty much guaranteed of hitting triple digits, maybe even getting some kind of record.

Our 100th point comes with just over four minutes left, fittingly enough on a FT by Vince Sanchez.

Final Score: Stetson 116 Florida Atlantic 87

Out and out dominance here. Florentino Wilson with 13 points, 4 assists and 4 steals as his highlights, Vince Sanchez with 22 points, Percy Brooks invisible in the second half, but still finishing with 11 points and 4 steals. Gerald Farell just missed a double-double with 15 points and 9 rebounds.

From the bench, G Orlando Gillingham (So) scored a sizzling 18 points and Ryan Okallo surprised with 13. C Damian Boyce (Fr) got 11 boards, though most of them came when the Owls weren't even trying to get offensive rebounds. Still, maybe there's some potential lurking in him after all.

Great, great win. We shot 51.2% from the floor, 67% (6/9) from 3-point range. 50 rebounds versus 32. Just fantastic.

Game #3 @ Rhode Island (3-0, 79, 83, 72, 67

We should have our asses handed to us by the Rams, who look like a really quality outfit.

Things are holding close, but we can't stop their 3 point game and they keep finding holes in our defense. It doesn't help that Vince Sanchez picks up two very quick fouls and has to sit.

As of the 10 minute mark, we're down 34-23 and showing no signs of being able to stop them, no matter what kind of defensive adjustments we make.

Halftime: Stetson 39 Rhode Island 57

I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut down the minutes per half. It's a little too high-scoring for college basketball these last few games. Maybe 17 per half?

In any case, Orlando Gillingham has 11 points at the half, but [b]Percy Brooks[/b[ is our only other player of note with 9 points and 3 steals. I'm at a loss as to how to stop this Rams team.

Percy Brooks goes on a bigtime scoring streak to open up the second half, to like NBA-jam style on-fire levels and we fight our way back to a 10 point deficit, but then Rhode Island's shooters get hot again from downtown and nothing we can do can stop them.

Worse yet, just inside the 10 minute mark, we're not only down 85-68, but Adam Kickert gets hurt and has to leave the game.

Fortunately it's a minor injury and he's cleared to return. We draw to 85-75 before another Ram run, but then we counter with a run of our own, so that with 3:03 left, we're finally at single-digits, 99-90. Oh yeah, I'm so reducing the minutes per half.

Miracle time?

No.

Final: Stetson 100 Rhode Island 110

SG Vandrell Henry (Jr) torched us for 36 points, SG Dwight Killingworth the second assassin with 22. But it was PF Nekemiah Luna (Jr) who was the real Hatter stomper, with 19 points, 20 rebounds and 3 assists.

Percy Brooks led us with 26 points, C Adam Kickert fighting through his injury for the first double-double of 11 points and 10 rebounds. Vince Sanchez and Orlando Gillingham both scored 13, while Damian Boyce had 11 rebounds.

2-1 is still damn good, though, and we played the superior Rams really tough.

Third game in a row I'll do later.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote