View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #45
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
I don't think Hillary would have given a better race. There's way too many republicans who still have a hate on for the Clintons, especially the far right who really doesn't like McCain all that much either. They'd certainly have been motivated to vote against a Clinton but now, maybe not so motivated to vote for McCain.

I think the proof is in the pudding considering how many republicans worked hard to vote for Clinton trying to get her in the general election. You can say that this shows they support her but I'm not that naive; they preferred facing her.

To me, except for a few issues, McCain and Clinton are pretty much the same politicians ...so in a race between them people vote for their parties ... and with a lot of Dems fired up about getting rid of Bush and a lot of Republicans lukewarm about McCain - I can see a very good chance of a Dem victory.

Now Obama is far to the left of Clinton (especially after she tried to edge toward the middle for broader appeal), I think he's ranked as one of the most left-leaning members of the Senate. Other than his brief time in the Senate, he has NO resume or accomplishments to speak of (unless he wants to tout being the first black man nominated by a political party for president)....at least Jimmy Carter could say he had been in the military and was the governor of a state. In addition, I think we now start to hear a lot more about his associations with Rezko, Giannoulias, Ayers, not to mention his kook ex-pastor. Admit it or not, there is a split in the Democrat party that rivals anything among Republicans at the moment, and depending on how Clinton is handled by Obama and the party heading into the Convention, will determine whether her supporters hop on the bandwagon, vote for McCain or stay home. Also, I think an Obama candidacy causes a lot of Republicans to vote who otherwise might have stayed home, because as lukewarm as they might be toward McCain...Clinton is the devil they know...Obama is the great unknown.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-04-2008 at 12:41 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote