View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #78
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's not about the labels, they're merely a convenient shorthand. It's about the principles that each are attached to. And there's too many instances where the two have distinct separations for me to find credible anyone who can't find enough to distinguish which camp they fall into more closely.

I'm not remotely suggesting that there's some need for a 100% match (remember, I'm adamantly pro-choice), but damned if I can understand how anyone can't find a reasonably consistent leaning toward which one is more compatible with their own priorities ... or at least damned if I can take very seriously anyone who can't.

I think its because candidates do, surprisingly, distinguish themselves within a party at times. Clinton (Bill) may have more ideas that a voter agrees with than does Dole, however Bush may have more ideas that a voter agrees with than Gore. I don't have specific examples or personal opinions that necessarily match up with this, I just imagine it is possible. Personally, I would vote on one issue over any other this election cycle (gaining voting rights), but I don't see many major issues changing based on the candidate that is elected. We're in Iraq no matter who gets in -- we may pull out earlier with a Democrat, but I don't think the difference will be that large. They'll both spend a lot. Republicans may try to give us more money back even though they keep raising their budget. [shrug]

I won't be happy with politics until we're out of the two party system.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote