View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #189
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Everyone glibly throws this out but no one has any suggestions on how to create a huge power void behind a dictatorship and not nation build without simply creating chaos. I kinda think that's important and I'm glad that even though W was stupid enough to start the war, I'm glad he wasn't stupid enough to abandon the Iraqi's after that.

I know what you are saying but history has generally shown otherwise. The difference between Iraq and other occupied territories was perhaps due to the culture? I mean, the Confederacy, Western Europe (throughout the centuries), Japan? took a lot of the initiative to rebuild and to relatively quickly acheive self-governing. I have not done any comparison to the Marshal Plan vs Post-Iraq funding, nor looked at captital outlay in early times but it does seem that the nearly $1t spent have not gained us that much benefits. I don't think the coalition destroyed the country that much but probably they did not have that great of an infrastructure and political strength to re-build from.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote