View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #411
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
+1

I think I've expressed a similar view somewhere in this thread. Too many characters with too many storylines. It becomes very hard to move the overall plot when you can only toss 3-4 chapters in an 800 page book to each of the main characters.

I think GRRM does know how it will end, in that he knows who will wear the crown(s) and what will happen to many of the characters. And I also agree with those that are saying that he is a little sick of his own work.
My thoughts were just the opposite. Each time I'd finish one of the books I'd think back to how things were at the start and be amazed at just how much transpired. Davos in A Clash of Kings is the only character I can think of that had as few as 3-4 chapters. The main characters would have up to 3 at a time during specific events... like Arya at the Red Wedding or Tyrion and Sansa at Joffrey's wedding.

I do think it was a bit frustrating at those moments, though, after something big would happen. I'd want to read about the aftermath and such, but ithe story would suddenly switch characters and move thousands of miles away. For instance, not knowing Ned's fate after Joffrey/Cersei seized the throne, killed all his men, and stuck a spear at his back. It was hard to switch focus to other characters with that still unresolved. But ultimately that made me want to keep reading even more in order to get to whatever chapter the secret would be divulged. Though usually I'd get so caught up in the subsequent chapters that I would forget I was even trying to get to that point.

I'm not sure if I really explained it well, but that effect was one of my favorites aspects of the series.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote