View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #78
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I've learned this off-season that you'd better sign your own players to extensions during the season. If you don't you're stuck throwing outrageous numbers at mediocre players. I believe someone in our league just signed a defenseman at a rating of 62 or 64 or something like that to a contract worth upwards of $5M per season for a couple years. That contract is outrageous but it's on par with others I've seen, especially given the financial environment the game creates.

I also think this is where keeping your draft picks will come in handy. Now that you have to use your picks prior to joining a league (I think that's where it was at last I read), using your picks to replace players you lose at the end of a season will be huge to avoid the free agency market (easily the most broken aspect of the game currently I think). That or dealing a pick for a couple 50-60 rated guys to fill out your roster to avoid sinking a bunch of money into a similarly rated player.