33 Ray Watson SF 6-3 207 SO Prineville, OR 3.2 Y
35 Donnie McCullum PF 6-8 197 FR Heber City, UT 2.9 Y
40 Larrie White PF 6-6 232 FR Deer River, MN 3.2 Y
23 Marcus Humphrey PF 6-6 203 SR Salina, UT 3.7 Y
45 Devin Wilson PF 6-8 191 SO North Ogden, UT 3 N
50 Aaron Asbury C 6-10 249 SR Kaneohe, HI 2.8 Y
42 Pete Tate C 6-8 252 SO Pinon, AZ 3.7 Y

Roster Overview

Our roster consists of 5 freshmen, 5 sophomores, 1 junior, and 4 seniors. This is a relatively young team, which means I'm going to be able to mold them enough to become a well-oiled basketball machine by the time the freshmen turn into seniors.

Point Guard

We have four points on our roster, including a walk-on senior. Pooh Dyer will most likely find minutes off the bench every now and then, since he's the guy who best knows how to run this team. Justin Harrell and R.T. Scheer are good point guards, despite the fact that they are only average ball handlers. Scheer is big enough to play SG, and considering he loves being a spot-up shooter, he might get that job. Harrell is basically a shoe-in as our starter PG, barring any hiccups with his grades. Jon Bailey has the potential to be a good PG, but he isn't much right now. He will be redshirted this year.

Shooting Guard

This is our weakest position and the one with the most potential. Sr Otis Ward has dibs on the starting spot in the lineup. He is a complete player, and despite not being remarkably good, he may be able to get the job done. Reggie McCaffery has the potential to be a superstar SG, but his work ethic is highly questionable. He will have to work hard in the next couple of seasons or so if he wants to fulfill his potential to be great. Terrance Underwood, despite being a scholarship player, appears to be nothing more but bench fodder.

Small Forward

Without a doubt, this team belongs to hometown hero and sophomore sensation Xavier Swift. He's got a smooth inside / outside game and does not hesitate to pull up the jumper or drive down the lane. Backing him up is fellow So Ray Watson, who is severely undersized for his position. Watson is more of an ouside shooter than Swift, but is just as tenacious on defense and rebounding. With the glut of PF's on this team who can move down to SF, Watson might find some playing time at SG as well.

Power Forward

He might be a walk-on, but he is a very good basketball player. So Devin Wilson has the tools to be an all-around-type of player for the Utes. He is not a prolifice scorer, but he can nail the mid-range jumper or bang down low. He is also a good rebounder and tenacious defender. Sr Marcus Humphrey will be Wilson's main competition for the starter's spot. Humphrey has better basketball IQ and is much more athletic than Wilson, while sharing similar, albeit lower, ratings. We also have two freshmen in Donnie McCullum and Larrie White, both being athletic big men who might be able to play as combo forwards for the team in the upcoming season.

Center

We only have two centers on this roster, but they are pretty good ones. Sr Aaron Asbury will be the de-facto starter for the Utes. While not being particularly athletic, the Hawaii native is a beast on the glass and on the defensive end. Backing him up is So Pete Tate. Tate is much more athletic than Asbury, but is a bit lower in most ratings. He will serve as a capable back-up to our Hawaiian Bulldozer.

Overall

So, there it is. The 08-09 Utah Utes. I have my work cut out for me this year. I'll have to prioritize finding a big man, a good shooting guard, and a better ball handling PG during recruiting.

Here's to hoping I find the kind of players I need.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 07-11-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote