View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #171
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I woke up and my team was in a new city...

LOS ANGELES -- Remember how there was an expansion team in St. Petersburg, Florida? Remember how that team played there for an entire season and almost managed to win its way into the playoffs during its first season?

Well, forget you ever knew that.

Pelicans sent a press release this morning at 5am eastern time indicating a change of...heart? venue? We're not sure. But in any case, here's the official memo via telegraph:

We would like to think the city of St. Petersburg for an excellent year hosting our ballclub for the 1966 season. We are pleased to announce that we will be moving to brand-new Robinson Park for the 1967 season and beyond, in lovely Compton, California. We are happy to be the first FOOL franchise to inhabit the State of California and look forward to many, many seasons of success as the Compton Brothers Professional Baseball Club.

Please refer to the former St. Petersburg Base Ball Club as such in all subsequent references, as well as historically.

Thank you for your cooperation and support of Brothers/Pelicans baseball.

###
Nothing follows.

My inspiration? is comment #6 on that particular post.

I say do a land swap--tear down Dodger Stadium and build a HOPE-VI style housing project in its place, and then tear down Imperial Courts in Watts and build the new ballpark there. It'd be right by the 105 and the Imperial/Wilmington station on the Blue and Green Lines.

Crime? Blah, blah, blah.

So sounds like a plan. Chavez Ravine is home to a housing project. Imperial Courts in Watts? A baseball stadium. What riots? James Brown concert? Nope. Try a Compton Brothers baseball game. Book that.

View Larger Map

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-13-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote