View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #133
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Maybe my thoughts on this aren't going to be popular, but they are my thoughts and I get to share them with you!

The problem with constantly infusing a high quantity of major league ready young talented players is that it breaks all kinds of models for the league. It creates easily accessible cheap talent and it not only devalues what should be "average" players but it makes them virtually worthless.

By having 17-21 year olds that are not only major league ready but among the best in the game, it destroys free agency as there is no reason to grab what would be normally star players when younger and cheaper players are available. It drops the available amount of money spent on free agents over time and eventually creates a way to work around the salary cap of a league actually. I guess I just don't feel that there is any reason that every single year we should get handfuls of what would normally be mvp quality players.

Previously in our league we had multiple problems with the crazy influx of talent added to the completely random method of how it was assigned. Now at least with just a draft, it puts some mechanism behind how the best players are handed out (ideally the worst teams would get the best prospects). This does not address the issue of too much talent however which still is a problem. There just shouldn't be any reason why players with large number of blue ratings should be 2-3 star players. It creates a talent curve that is unhealthy for the league in general.

Now ideally how would I invision the talent should be brought into the league, ie what level of talent? I first of all don't like the "Watering down" that Markus did by setting the default talent randomness to be much less than it should be. Too many people complained about first round busts to the point where he watered down the engine to the point of rarely having first round busts and likewise rarely having 7th round suprise studs. Luckily he leaves the option to set how random you want the draft to be so it is still possible to go back to a more realistic approach of having a more random talent pool.

I personally would love to see 15-24 year olds drafted, the higher the pick the more likely their chance of success, but have the talent randomness high enough that it is very possible to have first round busts and late round Mike Piazza type players occasionally. This creates a system where not only is it important to have higher draft picks but also it is even more important to have -more- draft picks just like how it really is in baseball today. With our development curve set to have players theoretically peak between 27-29, this would allow this crop of players to have an appropriate 2-3 years in some cases in the minors, and in other cases more years to develop. Ideally I think each year it probably makes sense to have 6-12 players that could at any year challenge to be an allstar, but no definite or sure thing. Should probably have a handful (under 6) of sure allstars, but each year I can't imagine there being more than 1 or 2 (or on rare occasions 3) hall of fame type players.

Like I said, fairly opinionated, but it is what I feel

I see your point, i noticed for a small 16 team league that there is a handful of good prospects in the minors. It may be ok for now but the future looks like we will all eventually have a bunch of all stars in our lineup for years to come. If this was a 30 team league then i'd say its right on pace. Ever think of expanding to 2 teams per season or something? Expanding the league will thin out the "to much talent" problem. Also would give us more trade options
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote