View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #72
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord View Post
I don't have any experience coaching kids, but this seems absolutely ridiculous. It seems to be completely against the spirit of kids sports. I just can't fathom wanting to do something like that to another group of kids.
The idea of kicking short and towards your best players is nothing new, to be honest. The Coronado Islanders Pop Warner squad I was an assistant on did it nearly every time.

I cringed the first time I heard that we were going to do that as well.

However, when I saw us practice a normal kickoff and actually use it in a game I understood why. Kicking the ball to the other team's two or three best players will likely result in the ball being in the same spot as a short kick or onside kick, at least that's been my experience in youth football. Some coaches will set up some elaborate returns hoping that you kick the ball deep.

Worst case scenario is that they'll return it for a touchdown. I have never saw the short kick or onside kick result in a touchdown, outside of a video or Cowboys game.

To me, the short kick is the lesser of two evils.

Potosi High School did some short kicking against two schools in particular last year. Both teams had players who had returned multiple kicks for touchdowns. In both situations we looked for a player with a number in the 50s through 70s in that second row and attempted to kick the ball at or near him.

As far as putting a boy in a position where he can do the least damage, I've seen that in youth baseball as well. I've seen coaches rotate two or three kids through right field and second base, depending on their inning requirement; the idea being that they're least likely to see the ball on that side of the field.

Shoot, I think we've all seen it in a rec softball league or three. We'll put the guy we're not too sure about or don't know at catcher, second, or right.