View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #2951
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I don't see the bridge to nowhere being an issue with anyone but staunch liberals. From what I have read, she supported the idea of a bridge to the remote islands as a potential infrastructure improvement. Once things got going, it didn't equate to a good idea. Hence the line "about that bridge to nowhere, thanks, but no thanks". About the keeping the money part, tell us more about that. Did she pocket some cash? Did money go into a general fund? Did something happen outside of the norm?

This is not a community organizer. This is a major national not for profit charity.

Community Organizers are different. If interested, just google and read up on it. There is a lot of good info out there. Sure it is a lot of volunteer based work and generally trying to organize commuinities like neighborhoods, etc. to solve common problems versus individuals trying to solve problems independently.

So eager to prove me wrong, I see.

The soul of organizing is people. An organizer might be paid or work as a volunteer. The group could start as part of a master plan hatched in a smoke filled room or out of a 'spontaneous' community reaction to a crisis like a toxic waste dump.
They might base their work on house by house prayer groups or cells of clandestine conspirators. The ultimate goal could be the preservation of Hopi language and culture or the overthrow of the real estate tax based system for financing public education. Organizers can differ on strategy, tactics, even on what seem to be base values. However, all organizers believe in people, in the ability of regular folks to guide their lives, to speak for themselves, to learn the world and how to make it better.

I think Red Cross falls into that "Google" definition.

Have you ever worked for a LOCAL chapter of the Red Cross..or a LOCAL chapter of Habitat for Humanities? The national organization is made of local community organizers that get the job done, regardless of its national status. There is no difference.

By the way, I didn't HAVE to look anything up. I've lived that life.

Last edited by ace1914 : 09-04-2008 at 12:29 AM.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote