View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't have time tonight as I need to go to sleep, but an interesting comparison would be to see how your VOCL maps out vs the Pyth. Record. One compares based on a grouping of player's perceived performance over the league average while the other bases upon a team's perceived performance over the league average. I wonder if the two would map out parallel or not, and if one would provide more insight to teams that played over their head.

Having a positive win window, means it's possible for you to win. It's being closer to 1.000 that makes it more likely that you'll be a winning team.

The VOCL deal is, having a VOCL over the modifer (a positive VOCL, then) essentially determine that your team is effectively "championship caliber" but it's not hard to go from negative VOCL to move up, based on a few moves. It's really just intended to help you recognize the difference between dumb luck and actual team talent.

That said, let's look at the teams that had the highest VOCLs and the teams who played above their heads vs. those that didn't.

Quote:
Here are the teams in order of their VOCLs, with how many games they played at, above or under their pyth. record

Code:
1973 Atlanta +1 Brooklyn -3 Boston +4 Valdosta +1 Baltimore +7 Colorado +2 Quad City +6 Ann Arbor -5 New Orleans -2 Compton -2 Hartford -1 Toronto 0 Texas 0 New York 0

Code:
1972 Valdosta -6 Colorado -2 Boston -4 Brooklyn +2 Rio Grande -2 Atlanta +6 Quad City -1 Compton +3 Ann Arbor 0 Baltimore -3 Toronto +2 New York +1 Hartford +7 El Paso -2 Columbus -3 Texas +1
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote