View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #667
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Are Americans against it because they don't understand "Wall Street" and the credit market, but because they are bailing out "Wall Street billionaires" (seems to be a common card the Dems like to trump out) with taxpayer money? Do they understand what could happen if it doesn't pass?

For starters, see my answer just above about reasons politicians failed to pass it. I imagine those could apply to the voters as well. And not on that list might be the biggest one of all: I've seen little beyond vague predictions of dire consequences in the way of making a case that this is necessary and/or desirable.

And even though I've given this relatively limited attention since last week, I'd say it's a safe bet that I still understand it better than the average man on the street (which isn't meant to say much for me or them mind you).

One thing that seems relatively certain to me, if the man on the street was supportive of the plan it would have had a much better chance of passing today. Maybe those in favor of it were lobbying the wrong people.