View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
If you voided a team option, he ought to be a free agent. I don't know how he'd go from a voided team option to a min sal contract. And their service time counts from the time they're drafted, not from the time they reach the majors. It's pro service time that turns on the clock to when they become FAs. If they've signed major league deals from the outset, the arbitration years don't matter, they just keep rolling over their initial rookie contract. muns ran into this back in the day when he'd offer rookies $10m for one year to sign, expecting their deals to revert to min sal deals, only to find out that they don't automatically do that.

I don't think either of those guys are rookies in the sense of pro service years. All it takes is 5 pro service years to become a minor league free agent if your contract doesn't free you up sooner. So I dunno if these are errors, they're certainly not draft issue errors, as those problems should be done, since it's been years since any "young, but with some experience" players were entered into the draft pool and those were the culprits of the service time issues (the game's fault..)

I'll have to get the HTML updated tonight, too.

These guys already were minor league free agents. That's how I signed them. They are now major league players. From draft starts the minor league free agent time, but the major league time starts from when you play in your first major league game, which for McIntosh was two years ago, and Gonzalez last year.

They didn't go to free agency following the option because they don't have enough major league service time to go to free agency (they don't even have enough to go to arbitration).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote