View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #191
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
As for this I have just the following things:

First voiding a contract does not make the player an immediate free agent. It will make him a FA at the start of free agency unless he has signed an extension after the voided deal. This I believe is the same as it is in real life. Example a team can void the last few years of a deal years out and then re-negotiate. So this is really not the same as releasing a player to the free agent pool then resigning him as he never went there and was never released.

Second there were several posts here about the subject starting around #325 by myself. So it has been brought up here before and I also got into more detail on this in the OOTP boards. This is not something that has been a secret from anyone.

That probably is a good point, issues like where Manny Ramirez with the Red Sox this season wanted his last team option declined by the Red Sox so he could work on a new contract during the middle of the season is a possibility.

I think probably the only reason people have issues with this is the perception that through options, back-ended loaded contracts, etc people can offer an unrealistic deal to players that then can easily be canceled out of and renegotiated in a non-realistic way that would normally never happen.

I guess I see both sides of this issue a little bit, but the most important thing probably is to have some level of consistency through our rules and then just expect everyone to follow them whatever they may be. If back-end loaded contracts or contracts with unrealistic options are ok, then they should be ok to be declined as well here, etc.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote