View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #114
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
True, but I value a stud everyday position guy far more than a stud SP. Simply put, a guy with a huge bat can swing alot more games for you than a guy who is playing every 4 or 5 days. Granted, Slider might be a 20 wins kinda pitcher....but someone batting .310 and an OPS of .900 is probably going to be able to win even more than 20 for you, and if the WinShares are any indication, this is usually true even for players lesser than the one I detailed above. Because, not only do you factor in his bat, but you factor in his glove---especially for a CF/2B/SS, or even a 3B.

I guess what I am getting out, is that while this guy is one I would desperately love to have.....I would even moreso want a top-notch position guy.

I think I always am the opposite. I value top notch pitchers more than position players. Perhaps it is because of my play style, but I usually feel that I can take 13 hitters, and as long as I have 2 or 3 solid hitters, I can figure out how to get the most out of the rest of them.

With a pitcher, I really have had only small bits of success trying a specific type of strategy with specific type of pitchers, but otherwise it seems I am more at OOTP's mercy when it comes to how good the pitchers are.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote