View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

We host #15 Virginia Tech. They're rated 89 and have an awesome defense. After a mediocre performance last week against Eastern Michigan I'm very worried.

On the second play of the game, we get a break that gets things off on the right foot:

That INT, returned to the 1 yard line, sets up a 1 play, 1 yard TD drive, Georgia Tech up 7-0. Virginia Tech manages a field goal later in the 1st quarter, but defense is going to rule the day here, and there are lots of sacks, INTs, and punts. I'm getting the INTs, Virginia Tech is sacking me every time I try to throw(Va Tech has two DE's with 84 speed that were just destroying my O-line and chasing me down every time I wanted to pass).

We put together one solid drive to go up 14-3, and Va Tech scores to make it 14-10 at the half.

The only offensive highlight comes in the 3rd quarter, as Blake Mann(I never renamed my players, Mann is Tyler Evans, rated much better in game heh) breaks a 38 yard TD run to make it 21-10 Georgia Tech:

The 4th quarter is when our defense really steps up. We don't get any INTs, but we just play great D and keep them on their own end of the field. We get a stop on 4th and 1, and later a stop on 4th and 3, both near midfield, to kill their only two semi-decent drives of the 2nd half.

Georgia Tech 21
#15 Virginia Tech 10

Defense absolutely ruled the day. Virginia Tech only had 206 yards of total offense (118 ground/88 passing), while we only had 222(181 ground/41 passing). Virginia Tech threw 4 INTs, while we had a fumble lost, and threw an INT.

A huge win over a ranked team, if we can win the rest of the games we'll be favored in we'll get the 8 win season that I'm counting on. This win gives me slim hopes of a 10 win season, though sirfozzie and karlifornia will both have something to say about that still.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote