View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #78
Autumn
Head Coach

Conference Finals

The injury report is growing. Schaefer is doubtful with a pulled groin, but at least he can play so I'll just move him down the lineup. CB Briles has shin splints which somehow are going to last until next year if you can believe that.

The Houston Oilers defense is notable for Clifton Wynn, a monster DE who had a five sack game earlier this season. At middle linebacker though is Andrew Herdeg, a Omaha reject who I can't believe is starting, they must have some serious injuries. Willie Reid is one of the best safeties in the league.

One offense, RB Oliver Stephens had a big game last week and will have to be watched, he's a decent runner in the vein of Hiscock. Juan Salpala is a rarety, a quarterback who was one of the original members of his team. Running the show in Houston since 1920, he had his best year this season and has all that experience under his belt. He is all-time first in passing yards, due to that longevity.

Houston tries to quiet the crowd in Omaha with their first possession, Stephens running well and Salpala dancing around Fleming to hit Swift for 15 yards. That ferocious Omaha D won't have any of it though, Martinez driving into Salpala and knocking the ball loose, Huie coming up with it. The crowd is ecstatic but only for a moment. My words must have made bulletin board material because Nichols first pass is intercepted by who else but Andrew Herdeg, former Tornado and mediocre LB. He not only picks off Nichols he takes it to the races rushing it back 62 yards for the touchdown and first blood. The stadium is shocked as the Oilers announce they're here to play.

The Tornadoes are not ones to get flustered, they simply come back and run their offense, driving past midfield on a mix of runs and passes. Reid defends a long pass but Sampson comes up with another for 14 yards. They manage to stop Nichols on third down, but a defensive holding call gives us first and goal. Fulton takes it right in for a score and a tied game.

Kooiker gets a pick on their next drive, giving us the ball at the Houston 31. Three runs gives us a first down in the red zone and sets them up for the play fake. Nichols hits Shepherd on the 11 and he scurries into the endzone for a 19 yard TD. 14-7.

It's three and out for them. Fulton and Youssef catch long passes on our next drive to get us to the 32. A scramble by Nichols gets us a first down on the 18. It's a simple task for Crawford to haul in the TD pass from there, but the extra point is missed. It's 20-7.

Pierce comes up with a 23 yard catch on their next drive to get them some movement. Pierce grabs a 31 yarder on the same drive and now they're at the three. We stop them there, though, and they settle for a kick and a 20-10 score.

Youssef has a 21 yard catch on our next possession to get us across midfield. And he's somehow the man, pulling in another 20 yarder in double coverage to put us at the 11. Schaefer gets us a first down on the 1 yard line and Vanaqs runs it in from there. 27-10.

With two and a half minutes left in the half, Nichols goes to work. He makes it to midfield but Crawford drops a third down pass and we punt it to the two. End of half.

The second half starts off with us trading punts. Their pass rush is getting to us more, stalling our drives. I think injuries on our offensive line are hurting us. Big play though as they're driving. Fleming and Huie combine for a sack and fumble at their 35. We get held up but kick the field goal to make it 30-10 as the fourth quarter starts.

Punts are traded before Fulton pulls in a 26 yard pass, Machen gets a first down run on 3rd and 10 and Vanaqs rush for 9 yards on 3rd and 3. That puts us at their 40 with 4 minutes left. We stall but Bercich hits a 52 yarder to make it 33-10 at the two minute warning. They make a drive, getting to our 20 before time runs out on their season.

In the end, the Tornadoes didn't take kindly to Herdeg's first quarter interception return. It was the only touchdown we allowed, and Omaha immediately answered it with FOUR STRAIGHT TOUCHDOWNS in the first half.

Nichols is Player of the Game and of the Week as he goes 25 of 36 for 303 yards, 3 TDs and the 1 INT. He spreads it around, Youssef especially making a name for himself by getting 5 catches for 85 yards. This is a fellow that wasn't even on the active roster most of the year.

Fleming pulls out another 1.5 sacks and a hurry. 5 blocked passes from the rest of my D-line as we harried Salpala all day. Bliss got schooled, giving up 6 catches, but the rest of the crew did well, including the whole offensive line.

Omaha Tornadoes 33, Houston Oilers 10

In Detroit, the Cavaliers are actually one point favorites over the Wheels. I don't see it, the Wheels are the complete package. Dusty Harvey is a top-shelf quarterback in this league, and their defense is a monster. It will take a big day by Corey Money to pull out a win here.

But that's exactly what the shocked Detroit fans get. Corey Money explodes for 322 yards and 3 TDs against the Wheels, on 17 of 25 passing. That quickly, Nichols playoff QB rating record is gone. J. J. Collier pulls in a 76 yard pass and the Cavaliers add on 10 points in the fourth quarter to win their berth in the Superbowl. Kemp and Cunningham combine for 95 yards of good running.

On the Wheels, they keep up with the scoring for the first half, Deon Crowder posting 113 yards rushing and 2 TDs. But Dusty Harvey can't do any magic as the Cavaliers pull away, going 19 of 34 for 212 yards. It's a surprise to me, but not Vegas it seems.

We'll find out in two weeks whether Russel Rayburn, the Cavaliers WR who spurned my multimillion dollar deal to resign with Richmond for minimum salary comes to regret it or not.

Richmond Cavaliers 33, Detroit Wheels 21
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote