View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #129
Radii
Head Coach

January 9, 2010

NC A&T (5-7, 1-0 MEAC) at Bethune-Cookman (5-5, 0-1 MEAC)

Scouting

They're rated a little below us, play poor defense and don't shoot quite as well as we do. We have a nice team unity edge as they start a couple young guys and have no seniors on the team.

PG Joey Woods – JR – 63 OVR – Adequate shooter, above average defender, decent speed. 11Ppg, one of their leaders.

SG Churchill Horner – SO – 55 OVR – terrrible 3 point shooter, slow, above average defender. - 6 ppg

SF Horace Trayborn – FR – 58 OVR – Looks to be a weak spot on the team all the way around. 5.5 ppg

PF Henry Walcott – FR – 78 OVR – This is the best player in the league, a 3* recruit Bethune Cookman brought in last year. Solid defender, very good scorer inside, the one good thing is that he's only 6'7” so hopefully that negates his edge a bit. 11.7 ppg/11.3 rpg

C Kyle Cook – JR – 64 OVR – Only 6'7” so they're a bit small, I need to take advantage of that. Decent scorer averaging 7.8 ppg.

Half
Time
NC A&T
BC
Notes
12:45
They get back on defense and can break a bit after turnovers. Walcott isn't hurting us, but Horner has 6 points all on layups after turnovers. Backups are in.
10:15
Timeout BC. Obviously our points from the backups are coming inside.
5:15
Cruz scores our last 5 to give us the lead. Since the backups were playing so well I didn't bother with a timeout to rush the starters back in. They're back now though.
2:15
Hayes picks up foul #2. I bring Cruz back in for the rest of the half. They're doing a good job of getting open shots real near the basket.

HALF
We led 28-23 at one point,and they close the half on a 17-5 run. Our offense faltered badly towards the end of the half. We went cold and committed far too many turnovers.

Their poor SG, Horner, leads them with 9 points. Walcott has 6points/4 boards/2 assists.

Coleman leads us with 7 points/6 boards. Ewing has 5 points but on 2-9 shooting. He missed a lot of open shots late in the half. Coleman and Hayes both have 2 fouls.
14:25
After falling behind by 10, we are now in the midst of a 9-0 run and only trail by 1. Solid defense has led us back for the most part. Ewing has a couple easy baskets and Hayes has 6 points this half so far.
13:15
Our run has stretched out to a 12-0 run and we now lead. A free throw(1-2) from Coleman and a layup by Alston after a steal gave us the lead. Hayes and Shiloh now have 3 fouls though.
10:50
Our run ended at 12-0 as their hot hand, Joey Woods, immediately came back in off the bench and drained a 3 after their last time out. He has 19 and has been on fire.
9:00
Woods drains another 3 to give them the lead again. We finally get our backups in the game. With all the timeouts they were taking during our run, our guys kept getting rested.
5:30
We've got 6 team fouls and since our starters ran for so long I probalby won't be bringing them back in til the 4 minute mark. Trying to stall and get Cruz and Shepherd looks inside.
4:00
So much for slowing it down and keeping up with them inside. A 3 pointer,a fast break layup and a mid-range jumper give them a 6 point lead. I'm down to 1 timeout but I've got my starters ready to come finish the game off.
2:30
So frustrating... we get a stop and a chance to cut down on the lead, Alston gets fouled driving, and misses both free throws... UGH.
1:30
We foul them(not intentional obviously) and they miss the front end of a 1 and 1. On our end we struggle to get a shot and Ewing ends up taking a marginal jumper. Its no good but Coleman is there for the board and puts it back in.
1:18
They work the ball into Wallcot(fairly quickly), Hayes stuffs his shot!! We come away with it and Alston goes by Woods for a layup.

We allow Woods an easy layup on the next possession and Alston commits a pretty terrible turnover and we have to start fouling. We get it as close as 3 again, 77-74, but never get a chance to go for a game tying shot. Tough road loss.

Bethune-Cookman 78
NC A&T 74

Their PG, Joey Woods, just got incredibly hot and we couldn't slow him down. He drained 2 threes with hands right in his face and when we tighten up to stop that he gets to the basket for layups. Woods had 26 points. Their rooke stud walcott had 11 points/10 boards/5 assists, quite a fine day.

We had a balanced attack:

Alston: 11 points/5 assists
Ewing: 12 points
Shiloh: 0 points
Coleman: 14 points/13 boards
Hayes: 13 points/7 boards

Off the bench Cruz scored 8, and Shepherd scored 6 with 6 boards. Not the start we wanted to conference play after all those goals we talked about before the game.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote