View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #140
Radii
Head Coach

We've just passed the halfway point of the conference season. Here's how things look right now:

1. SC State 8-2
2. Hampton 8-2
3. Delaware State 8-3
4. Howard 7-3
5. Morgan State 6-4
6. NC A&T 6-4
7. Norfolk State 4-5
8. Coppin State 4-6
9. Bethune-Cookman 3-7
10. Florida A&M 2-7
11. Winston Salem-State 2-8
12. MD-Eastern Shore 2-9

We're 10-11 overall. I still have a lot of confidence as we've finished very strong each of the last two seasons. We play Hampton next and then our final 7 games are against teams we've already played. Since I don't think any of them really have talent advantages over us, I hope I've learned enough to take advantage of my strengths in any rematches.

Also, I'd run through a rather lofty list of goals for the season. Lets see how we feel about them halfway through the conference schedule:

1) Win a non-conference tournament(completed already, hooray!)
2) Sign a world recruit - No change, depends on recruiting.
3) Go an entire season with no unhappy players - Still doing fine here but we are down to 3 pep talks left. I
4) Coach a conference player of the year - I'm unsure here. Bennett for SC State is putting up 19 points a game and Floyd of Winston-Salem State has 17.7 points per game. Ewing is 4th in the league with 16. Coleman is 5th with 15.8 ppg, and he's also leading the league in rebounds with 11.7 rebounds/game. So it seems like its going to come down to higher raw scoring output, or whether the large number of rebounds + good scoring is enough.

5) Coach a team to a winning record - If we finish 5-3 we'd finish the regular season 15-14. Assuming tournament play counts towards that record/goal, we either need to go 5-3 and win a tournament game, or go 6-2 in the regular season.
6) Coach a team to 20 wins - Highly unlikely as we only have 10 wins with 8 games left. 7-1 finish + winning the conference tournament would do it.
7) Coach a team to a conference championship - I am actually unsure if this is regular season or tournament. I still think we have a decent shot at winning the tournament, despite the fact that we match up poorly against a couple teams.
8) Coach a team to an NCAA Tournament bid - See #7

So really not a lot has changed with these goals, except that the 20 win goal seems pretty damn unlikely.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote