View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #177
Radii
Head Coach

November 10, 2010

Youngstown State (0-0) at Ohio (1-0)

We have another game vs an evenly matched opponent today, then our next few games we either expect to win easily or lose badly, so I'll play this one and then sim some out. Youngstown State is rated 75 OVR.

Scouting

PG Vili Cantrell – SO – 67 OVR – Average... average speed, average handling/passing, average or below shooting. He's a good steals guy and we'll want to protect the ball around him. But he doesn't seem a scoring threat.

SG Vytas Sulskis – SR – 66 OVR – 6'7”, a natural SF. He is a decent shooter(79 med/79 3), but he's a bit slower than most SG's. Freeman is more of a spotup shooter so this is actually not a great matchup for us, but my backup guards could probably take pretty good advantage of this.

SF Ije Kohn – SO – 70 OVR – Decent insidee, not a great overall shooter though(70 med/66 3). Average on the boards and not a guy we're worried about that much. He is 6'8” so he gives them a ton of size.

PF Alloune Hodges – SR – 75 OVR – 6'10”, great inside(93close) and incredibly good outside for a big man (73 med/74 3). Outstanding low post player and rebounder (84 DRB). This guy is a monster.

C Landy Markham – FR – 66 OVR – Only 6'8”. Not as good a scorer or rebounder as Hodges. Good post defender but awful defensive awareness(dawr is 56, I am learning to expect to see over 60 for everyone at this level).

If we can hold our own on the defensive boards, I think we match up pretty well against these guys when I have the ball.
Half
Time
OHIO
YSU
Notes
16:00
We get out to another fast start. The scoring is balanced, no one has more than 4 of our points yet.
13:50
Big run on their part,they are doing a good job running when we miss, and they've hit two threes over our zone. Freeman has 2early fouls and has to sit.
11:45
All backups except for Turner are in now.
5:30
All starters are back in except for Freeman who I don't want to pick up a 3rd stupid foul. Hodges has 2 fouls for them which is good, he was their leading scorer when he sat a couple minutes ago.

HALF
We've allowed them to shoot 57% for the half, just too high.

Delic and Dahi both have 9 points inside. Freeman was 1-4 from 3 when he came out with foul trouble. Their big SG Sulskis is proving to be a big problem. He has 14 points, 2-3 from outside and 3-4 inside.
16:00
Defense is playing well, and we're on a 11-3 run after allowing the first bucket of the half. Turner has hit a 3, driven to the hoop and drawn a couple fouls, and has a nice dunk in transition.
11:45
Backups are in at all 5 positions.
9:15
Delic and Dahi are back in, guards are still resting. Pearson, my backup PF, scored my last 4 and was solid inside during this stretch.
6:30
I burn a time out and get all my starters back in. Delic and Dahi are playing very strong inside. Sulskis is still killing us and really the only reason the game is close.
3:15
Mostly back and forth but we have missed two free throws in our last two possessions and have let them go up by 4. I burn my next to last time out just to keep my guys rested.
2:30
They use a timeout. We got Dahi a good inside look to cut it to 2.
1:33
Their ball after they score and we come up empty.
0:15
After they score to go up 6, we get a drive from Turner to cut it to 4. There's about 50 seconds left at this point and I end up playing defense instead of fouling. We force a bad shot(Hodges, contested, from 20 feet) and Freeman hits a pullup 3 in transition! We're going to have to foul, down 1with 15 seconds left.

They make 1 of 2 free throws when we foul. I push the ball upcourt, Turner drives by his man but Hodges is back there in defense. Turner goes up strong, hoping to draw a foul,but Hodges plays great defense and just forces an awkward shot that is no good. We foul again with 6 seconds left, but they make both FT's this time. I rushed that final shot a bit and could have done better for sure.

Youngstown State 89
Ohio 85

Well,I just lost to a team nicknamed the Penguins. I'm pretty pleased overall though, as we've played two teams rated about the same as us that play two totally different styles of defense, and we were able to hold our own against both. We did struggle against their lead scorer today, Sulskis, but its not every day you run into a 6'8” guy who can shoot the 3 and plays SG adeptly.

Turner: 15 points/4 assists
Freeman: 11 points (3-9 from 3)
Washingon: 4points
Delic: 16 points/8 boards
Dahi: 18 points/11 boards

Pearson: 10 points/4 boards
Massey: 6 points/5 assists

I'm extremely happy with what I've seen out of Dahi so far, and I feel a lot better about Delic this game. He isn't the go-to guy that I can use when I need a basket in any situation, but he's the type of player that if I find with just the slightest bit of space/position, he's going to score.

Last edited by Radii : 02-20-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote