View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #1788
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
My in game rules before i quit my last solo dynasty:

1. No running the option - WAY too easy to exploit the edges and bat pursuit angles that defenders take with option plays.

2. I required myself to maintain a reasonable run/pass ratio.

3. Tone down clock management abilities. Playing 7 minute quarters, up by 7 points against a better team, its tempting to run the play clock down to 1 second with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. But that's really the ~10 minute mark in a full scale game, that doesn't really happen. And most importantly, the CPU won't take advantage of that against you if they're up 7 in the 4th. No stalling until the final 2 or 2:30 of the game.

The only recruiting limitation I put on myself was that I wouldn't allow myself to scour the recruit lists late in the season to look for good recruits that no one else has gone after. I set up my initial contact list and the only time I ever added to it was if I lost out on recruits at positions where I was going to have a shortage the next season.

When I quit I'd won two national titles in a row and it was becoming obvious that I was going to need more house rules beyond that to keep it competitive.

Thanks for your thoughts. With the right sliders I think the on the field game can remain competitive. It's in recruiting where a human analysis and strategy will always crush and unbalance the game over time. Speed in the EA Sports games has always been king. Placing some limits around them will help keep it more competitive as the CPU teams will never draft on pure speed.

I started a new dynasty earlier today with Eastern Michigan using the Heisman sliders that I had been playing with. Michigan State whooped my ass by a final score of 51-0. That was with Javon Ringer hurt most of the game. Next game was against Toledo and we had a close shootout that could have gone either way. Should remain fun and challenging as long as recruiting doesn't get out of hand.

I think I am going to start with these house rules:
* No recruiting of "A" rated speed players unless I begin the year in their top 3.
* No recruiting of "A-" rated speed players unless I begin the year in their top 10
* After Week 10 of the season any new recruits I add to my board must be from the state my college is in or the states that immediately touch it's borders
* Due to generally poor kickoff coverage the maximum speed I will allow for a return man will be 90

Last edited by Ironhead : 02-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote