View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #207
Radii
Head Coach

February 9, 2011

Ohio (16-6, 7-3 MAC) at Miami(OH) (9-13, 5-5 MAC)

Miami OH has a roster strength similar to ours. 75 OVR, 76 O/74 D/79 Shooting/86 Rebounding. In fact they are one of only two teams in the league with a higher rebounding rating than us. The other being Akron. Our rebounding rating is 85.

Scouting

PG Jerald Demond – SR – 69 OVR – Demond is their 3 point threat(80). His speed, quickness, handling and defense are all average for a PG, but nothing special. All within a couple points of 80, some above, some below. Our main worry here seems to be the 3 point shooting. He only averages 7.4 ppg, but we expect he'll put up 20 on us.

SG Dragutin Baker – SO – 73 OVR – Great speed(89) but not as quick(81). Above average defender(81) and great inside(83). We're plelased to see a 3 point shooting rating under 70(68). Looks like a guy that needs to drive to the hoop to be dangerous. Averaing 7.2 ppg.

SF Nick Winbush – SR – 72 OVR – 6'8”. Great in close(87) and solid from mid-range(77). Not a great 3 point shooter(70). Good in traffic and off the dribble. Averaging 10.4 ppg.

PF Cristano Blalock – FR – 67 OVR – 6'9”, only average on the boards and in the post. Ok strength, ok inside abilities. Seems like a guy Pearson should match up pretty well against. 5.5 ppg.

C Hashin Friend – JR – 69 OVR – 7'0”. Average on the boards(72 O/79 D), strong(79), good post offense, not as good on d(79/68). With size and strenght we definitely worry about “only average to above average” ratings. He leads the team with 17 ppg. Only 5.8 rebounds though.

I feel like we match up pretty well here if we are able to keep them off the glass.

Half
Time
OHIO
MOH
Notes
13:15
Feels worse than a 4 point deficit. They have 3 or 4 offensive boards, we don't have any. We have 4 turnovers, mostly from trying to rush and force the tempo. Freeman hasn't scored yet, they're playing man to man defense and Baker is keeping him fairly well covered. Backups are in.
9:50
A 3 pointer followed by a steal and a 3 point play and we're trailing by 10 now. The problems are the same as in recent games. We're turning it over too much, and giving up way too many offensive rebounds. Their good shooting PG, Demond, just went out with an injury.... whoa, a serious one. Broken ankle – 48 days.
8:10
Still struggling quite a bit, but we've just drawn foul #2 on Friend, their big man inside. Hopefully that will help our rebounding problems.
6:40
Starters are back in.
4:30
The loss of Demond is really hurting them, as is the foul trouble inside. They've got two guards in the game rated under 60 and we have the size advantage now. Lead is down to 9 and it feels like we have the momentum.
1:10
They bring some of their guys in foul trouble back in the game for the final minute of the half.

HALF
Freeman scores our last 6 points and we tie it back up before halftime. So basically the situation is this: They don't run a deep bench. They are the only team I've played this year that when scouted it said that they don't like to use their bench much, only to rest starters when necessary. So the foul situation is fairly even. We committed 10 fouls, they committed 12. But their 12 were primarily with starters on the court, so 4 of their starters end up with 4 fouls. The other starter is their PG Demond who broke his foot and is out for the rest of the season.

Their starters are killing us today but I expect us to outlast them given the foul and injury situation.

Turner really took over the game late, driving by their 58 rated guard at will. He has 17. Delic has 7 for the backups, and Freeman 6. The rest of our points are spread out very evenly. Backup PG Massey has 3 fouls, and SF Washington has 2 for us.
17:30
We take our first lead in a very long time. We've drawn 2 fouls on them as well. Winbush and Friend are out for now with 3 fouls. Friend is the big one, their big center. We've committed one foul, Dahi's 2nd.
15:30
We use an offensive rebound of our own... after a missed free throw, to go up 5. Miami OH takes a time out, and things are turning firmly in our direction at this point.
14:15
Freeman drains a 3 in transition, and Turner gets a dunk after a steal, Miami OH calls another time out.
10:00
Backups are in, except for Dahi. I sat Dahi at the 15 minute mark since he was tired earlier than the others, I'm bringing him back in now.
6:15
We're doing well, given that they've got their starters back in. I call a time out to get Dahi off the floor, and to give my starters a bit more rest, hoping to get them back for the final 5 minutes to hold on to this lead. Massey has 4 fouls now, fwiw.
5:00
Starters back in. We're still going to keep things slow, no need to let them get on a run if we turn it over a couple times quickly.

They hit a 3 pointer with 2:30 to go to make it 81-75. We really sealed the game when we came down on the next play, ran 25 seconds off the clock, and hit a 3 of our own. 6 was the closest that it got until they hit a meaningless 3 as time expired.

Ohio 90
Miami (Ohio) 85

If their PG doesn't go down with an injury in the first half, we probably don't win this game. If we don't get their starters in foul trouble early, we probably don't win.

Turner: 29 points/10 assists
Freeman: 14 points
Washington: 15 points/12 boards
Pearson: 2 points/4 boards
Dahi: 6 points/13 boards

Delic: 9 points

Washington is a lot more athletic than either of my big men. The big men just got their shit blocked if they tried to go inside, Washington hit a few midrange jumpers and drove to the hoop a couple times when he got by his man, drawing fouls.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote