View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #327
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What exactly would you recommend? Especially as Lathum pointed out, Gonzaga is playing 350 miles from their campus in another state. Hasn't a key reward of earning a high seed been that you get seeded in a favorable region?

Everyone loves to point out that UNC gets to play a lot of games in North Carolina, which is entirely true. Of course they usually have to earn a 1 or 2 seed to get that preference, and a hosting site has to exist in the state(of course, there are more available hosting sites in North Carolina for the south region than there are in georgia, virginia, tennessee, south carolina, alabama and mississippi combined. But anyway, Greensboro is 50 miles from Chapel hill and Durham. Should Duke and UNC be sent 850 miles away to Miami instead? What about Charlotte, that's 150 miles away from their campuses.

So is the rule same state? 100 miles? You can only go to the 2nd closest hosting site available to you?

So what's fair?

I don't really have a problem with the Gonzaga game. That's a hefty distance and we can't send every team across the country.

The North Carolina thing is getting old, but I know why the NCAA does it. I guess I don't understand why a 3 seed like Villanova gets a home game, or an 8 seed like Ohio State. Siena really gets screwed in that one and I wonder if that would have happened if it was UCLA as the 9 seed.

I liked the old system that was essentially all neutral sites. I think the crowd dynamic is unique and it makes it fair for both sides. Leave the home games for the regular season, the tournament should be who has the better team that day, not who is playing at home.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote