View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #346
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What neutral sites? You mean when if you were sent to the west region you played on all west sites that were pre-determined? So a team like Gonzaga, the highest seed in the tournament(along with UW) got rewarded and put in the west region, thus putting them at one of the western sites and changing absolutely nothing.

The sites in the east or the south still go to the top teams from those geographic areas. Perhaps the new pod system(and btw I'm not a fan of the new pod system, I liked it the way it was just fine) generates a few more games each year where one team is decidedly closer to home than other teams, but the higher seeds ending up with the games closer to their campuses is nothing new at all.

EDIT: You weren't the one mentioning the gonzaga game, just read that now(though I still like the point for those that were )

The old system was random though. Sometimes a team got a favorable spot but it wasn't predetermined. This system has the committee actively giving home games to certain teams.

The one great thing about the tournament was how completely fair it was. Everyone was treated the same. Now with the selection committee and questionable seeding, it's just added a little too much WWE for my liking.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote