View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #351
Radii
Head Coach

January 25, 2014

Ohio (15-2, 4-1 MAC) at Bowling Green (8-10, 2-3 MAC)

Bowling Green is rated 76 OVR (76 off/76 def/78 sht/81 reb), well below us everywhere. Toledo was rated 74 OVR(the other team in this 2 game stretch we could have played), and we have played some good games with Bowling Green, so here we go.

Scouting

PG Richie Bracey – SR – 66 OVR – Their starter, Zam Surov, is injured and out for a month. Bracy is a poor defender, 78 defense. Decent speed/quickness(86/84), poor ball handler(74) and average passer(70, passing is harder to come by though). 86 close/71 med/74 3, definitely a reasonable scoring threat if given any space.. 6.9 ppg/2.9 apg.

SG Jean Goss – FR – 73 OVR – Goss will become a good player, but he still needs work. 86 speed/82 quickness, 79 defense, 90 close/71 med/70 3, 77 off the dribble. None of those but the close rating bother me now at all. Give him 3 years of development and he'll be quite good. 8.1 ppg so far this year.

SF Clinton Moye – JR – 78 OVR – Moye has started the last two years at SG as Bowling Green had a very good SF who just graduated. Average defense (79), above average shooter (87 close/77 med/73 3), good off the dribble and outstanding in traffic (78/88). Moye is a great athlete and a great dunker(91 dunk rating). 9.0 ppg, 2nd on the team.

PF Rich Draper – SR – 73 OVR - This is Draper's first year as a starter though he has seen enough minutes to earn 3 bars of experience. He's a natural SF but he is 6'7”. He doesn't have great PF skills though, he's a horrid rebounder(69 o/74 d) and totally ineffective on offense in the post(65). 74 post defense is reasonable, but not good. 84 close/78 in traffic. 7.7 ppg, 3rd on the team, nonetheless, but he is badly out of position.

C Jessan Dilligard – SR – 74 OVR – 6'10”, an average rebounder (79 o/81 d), a great post player (90 offense! 79 defense). 85 close/88 in traffic, guy looks like a serious scoring threat down low, and leads the team with 16.2 ppg/7 rpg.

The loss of Surov really hurts them. They go 7 deep as far as players rated above 60... before they lost Surov. Now they're in big trouble. Their next PG behind Bracey is a 50 rated true freshman who can't do anything really. Their starting lineup is solid, but we expect to wear them down. Additionally, their backcourt does not play good defense at all. We expect a big edge there.

58-46 unity edge, theirs isn't bad but we've got a solid, experienced lineup out there now.
Half
Time
OHIO
BGSU
Notes
12:45
We're not playing well at all. I switched from the custom playbook that I usually use to the “all plays” playbook for some variety(for both teams) and am getting a lot of plays I'm not familier with(the diagram on the floor is great of course but when I know a play by heart I can look for guys cutting in advance to see where my best move will be). But regardless, we're not rebounding well and not shooting well at all. Backups are in to hopefully change that.
6:30
Bowling Green scored 5 straight to go up 23-10 before we finally started playing better on defense. We rolled off 8 straight points, entirely in transition after missed shots/turnovers. We've been pretty even after that point. Our scoring has been balanced too, Lufkin, Mendoza and Keller all put up 4 I believe. Starters are back in to finish off the half.

HALF
Terrible half. Just terrible. We allow them to shoot 50%, including 4-11 from 3, Moye and Goss both hurt us (11/8 points respectively), their backup PG Bracey gets his shots too and scores 7. We've committed 8 fouls and they're 9-11 from the line.

They have a massive rebounding edge, 21-13. On our end we're 0-6 from 3. Sessoms has 6, Mendoza 6. Half the team has 4. I tried hard to get our big men going, Delic and Sessoms are a combined 4-13. Cooper is 1-5, House only has 2 shots so far. Gotta get something going from pretty much anywhere.
17:30
Well that's a good start, 8-2 run. Murphy scores our first 5 points, Delic gets a basket down low and then House a free throw. We've allowed a Moye jumper but that's it so far.
13:45
They push the lead back out to 12, and I am not seeing anything at all I can do different to score more consistently or play better defense. They're just getting good looks, good cuts, good drives from everyone. Backups are in.
9:00
We keep getting it under 10 and they just immediately push it back up over. Their center, Dilligard, is killing Keller, he has 6 points since the backups came in. Bad news too is that we're already at 7 fouls for the half, they're shooting the rest of the way.
8:30
Keller draws a foul on Moye, and its their 7th team foul too. It was on a 3 point play opportunity, the second Keller has had in the last two minutes. Yup, he missed both free throws.
8:00
Starters are back in. Its a bit early but the backups are gassed and we can't afford to stall for time here to rest anyone. I might sub them out once more at some point, or, I've got my timeouts.
6:00
Cooper finally hits a 3 pointer, which, after 4 straight points off turnovers, has us on a 7-0 run(yup, they'd gone up 13), and we're down only 6, our slimmest deficit of the half.
5:10
Backups are in for a short breather. And yup, we just gave up a quick 4 straight.
3:30
Starters are good to go the rest of the way. We scored 4 straight, a foul allows Dilligard to sink 2 Ft's and make it 8 again.
2:55
A steal and layup gives them a 10 point lead, Murphy gets a wide open 3 and can't sink it, and they have the ball up 10. This just hasn't felt like a winnable game all half and it already feels over.
1:00
5 straight by Cooper make it a 6 point game and at least give us a chance going into the final minute.

They score the next time they have the ball and its out of reach.

Bowling Green 96
Ohio 86

Just an incredibly frustrating game for us. We could not stop anything they threw at us. Moye hit tons of open jump shots, Bracey was lights out in absurd fashion, Dilligard was very effective down low. Bracey was 6-7 from the field for 16 points. Goss, their SG, 5-11 and 7-8 from the line for 18. Moye 7-13 for 19 points. PF Drafper 5-7 for 13. C Dilligard 5-10 for 15... if we can't play good enough defense to stop that, we can't win.

We were terrible. 13-20 from the FT line really hurt us. That 6 point game is a 3 point game if we make 80%, etc. They certainly did(28-33 for them... )

We're rated 90 on the boards, the highest in the MAC and way way higher than Bowling Green. They outrebounded us 39-26. We didn't get a single offensive rebound all game.

Murphy: 10 points (4-9 shooting)
Cooper: 14 points (5-14 shooting, 2-6 from 3)
House: 11 points (4-6 shooting, thank you)
Delic: 10 points/7 boards
Sessoms: 11 points

Mendoza: 11 points
Keller: 10 points

Just a poor game all the way around. I guess they were just up for us on the road big time and we didn't stand a chance.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote