View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #77
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s move to Training Camp!

We sold 48,600 season tickets after a Super Bowl win? We went down? Ouch.

Let me look at my drafted rookies, post-camp:

CB Hudson - 42/75. Looks very nice.
DE Collier - 15/71. Could grow into a nice player
LB Neil Huntley - 8/69 - 3rd round pick looks like a future starter.
DT Mike Rodgers - 24/68. Yet another strong future player.
C Maxwell - 11/48 - The solid backup I thought he was.
DT Dennis King 17/47 - As is King
QB Newsom - 11/42 - Just a backup body
LB Rodney McWilliams - 18/38 - Why do my LBs keep bustin?
FB Terry Tripodi 13/28 - And my FBs?
LB Malcolm Medina - 10/28.

So, I came out of the draft with TWO first round busts. My second round LB was another crappy one. I managed to find a starter caliber one out of sheer luck. Another FB bust. However, I came out with a strong CB, LB, DT and DE, and all are starting caliber, so it wasn‘t the worst draft ever.

I release Malcolm Medina. I sign Ray Lewis to a one year deal as a patch. I may just franchise him next year in order to insure my team has three LBs.

I now literally, literally, have 0$ under the cap. Let me make another change or two to help my financial situation. I cut LB Richard Dunlap, my 1st rounder from last year. I sign OG Sammie Mascorella, a 4th year starting caliber guy to a one year deal. I then get on the horn. Would someone like Matt O’Dwyer whose age is getting higher?

I trade OG Matt O’Dwyer to the Cardinals for their 3rd and 6th next year. Now I still have an OG in his last year of a contract, but not an 11 year veteran. O’Dwyer was better skill wise, but he never gave me great stats. Hopefully, Mascorella can. Mascorella is an adequate run blocker but a great pass blocker. In 35 starts, O’Dwyer had just 42 KRB and allowed 7 sacks. That was not worth top flight money.

Before he came to us, he had been All Pro one year, and had 37 KRB and 27KRb in the previous two years, so its not like I signed a lump, and expected it not to smell, you know?

I sign FB Fred Beasley to a one year deal. I cut FB Les Ball. Another one year guy patching us up. No more drafting FBs. I then sign RB Sherman Cook to a 1 year deal to round out my roster.

I trade QB Andre Geiger to the Raiders for their 2nd rounder next year. I sign to a one year deal QB Colin Duran, a 5th year vet out of Arizona State.

Oh, Jermaine Grant busted a bit, but in realistic ways. Here are his potentials:

Screens - 98
Short - 100
Medium - 78
Long - 56
Deep - 48

Where he once was all in the 90s and 80s, even in the long balls. Realistic adjustments. Now that he has busted sorta, I actually like Allard better.

Allard’s potentials (almost there in most cases)

Screens: 49 (his weakness)
Short: 99
Medium: 90
Long: 63
Deep: 96 (my favorite stat of his)
3rd Down - 48
Accuracy - 87
Power - 59
Scramble Freq - 43
Carrying - 44

That is not a bad QB. He’s realistic, with some weaknesses, but if you wondered how he can sometimes get a small number of completions for a bunch of yards, that’s how. Deep and accurate is his game, plus he’s money at the short and medium stuff.

Oh, btw, I have really good corners. All three backups are strong. Just saying this might be one of the best secondaries I’ve ever had bar none.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote