Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #583
Radii
Head Coach

Final game before the recruiting period starts;

Nov 20, 2017

Ohio 90,
at Colgate 57

Bright 18, McCully 14, Santiago 12.

I go through my normal recruiting but since we've already got these guys at 100%, i go for the extra suspense of not seeing if anyone else has offered... it wouldn't change anything now.

I sim ahead to the signing day:

oh wow. WIN! 4* PG Jermaine Graves has signed with OHIO!! I was certain Kentucky or someone would come after him... stunned.

3* PF Darrin Broermann signs with Michigan, we miss out on him.

4* JC SF Denver Fox signs with OHIO!! Expected, but exciting.

So lets review the good news first:

4* SF (JC SO) Denver Fox - 6'8" 210 lbs - Cincinnati, OH

Shooting: B+
Skills: B
Defense: B
Athleticism: A-
Rebounding: B
Intelligence: B-
Potential: A-
Size: B+

Fox has B- speed/B- quickness/C+ str/C+ vert/B hustle, a great looking athlete. C+ close/B med/C+ off the dribble/B- in traffic. Average defense. A- potential according to this, but our guys usually come in lower than scouted there(Maybe A- is what he'd have with maxxed teaching? Or just scouting error). I'll only have him for two years, but he looks pretty exciting.

4* PG Jermaine Graves - 6'3" 196 lbs - #69 OVR/#27 PG - Cincinnati, OH

Graves is Mr Basketball in Ohio. 7.8 ppg/5.9 rpg/4.8 apg in the ABL. 2.5 steals. Awful shooter, 25% (18-71). We scout him better than that but we'll see.

Shooting: B+
Skills: A-
Defense: A-
Athleticism: A
Rebounding: C+
Intelligence: B
Potential: B+
Size: B-

B- speed/C- quickness. C+ defense/B steals. B close/C+ med/C 3/B- off the dribble. B- clutch, which can be nice. C- handling/C+ passing... for a PG I'm thinking 80/75 or so there which is fine for the MAC.

And for the bad news. The only true need we have is a big man, and that's the one thing we didn't get. The center I was looking at earlier, Vakeaton Kounkorgo, is still available. It looks like us and New Mexico. I'd been targeting him a bit and have him up to 87%.

I'll work on him, give him my last scholarship offer, and find another bakcup target or two.

So now I'm thinking... i've landed a top 70 recruit and a 4* JC player. If I do well with my 3rd scholarship, is a top 20 class a possibility? I have no idea how the JC player will grade out as far as that goes.

Two 4 star recruits in the early signing period!! Ohio is becoming more respected, clearly. Perhaps with a sweet 16 and some more coaching skill I might hold out at Ohio for a job I really like. Most likely that'd mean a job with one of the ACC teams I grew up with (ie the 8 that were in the league in the 80s), except for Duke.

But, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Odds still favor me taking the first power conference job I'm offered, but this gives me a bit more hope that I can go a lot further at Ohio still.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote