View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #77
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
Just finished reading Matthew Pearl's second novel...The Poe Shadows. It takes place in Baltimore right after Poe's death. it is sort of a literary Mystery.

I read that over the summer. My sister gave me that and the Dante Club. Poe was good, but I preferred Dante. I'd recommend both.

I'm finishing up Philip Kerr's latest (to appear in the US, that is) Bernie Gunther novel. The first three books take place in Nazi Germany, the fifth finds him fleeing to Argentina, and now he is in Peron's Argentina with former SS men. Great insights into Berlin and Germany during the war and how Argentina fits in. If you like Pearl, Kerr is more recent history with the macabre tints of the Dante book in particular all throughout.

Kerr also wrote a book about Isaac Newton that is equally tremendous in a Neal Stephenson kind of way.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote