Radii
Head Coach

Half
Time
FSU
UNC
Notes
12:05
Solid start, we are going into the post literally every single half court trip. Early on I wasn't trying to push transition at all but I'm starting to look for edges on the break now. McCants has 8, Sneed 4. We have 2 fouls on their PF(really a very talented SF), Reid. Backups are in.
8:10
Timeout UNC as we score 4 straight. Sanders has 6, Millar 2, Mayer missed an open 3 earlier. They have hit two threes to keep the scoring up on their end with backup SG Appleby.
6:30
Starters are back in, they get a 3, a steal and a deuce to go up 7. We are shooting 11/15 and down by 7. They've hit 4 3's and managed to go to the line 9 times already.
4:00
Timeout UNC. We've tried a couple 3's with Forte and Alloway, no luck, and we allow them to go up 11 with misses inside as well, finally a bucket on an offensive board from McCants and its 9 again.
2:40
Alloway draws a foul in transition and hits a free throw. Noteworthy as this is our first point not in the post by a big man all game.

HALF
We get the last 4 of the half and only trail by 6, not bad though it feels like we played an excellent offensive half. We need them to miss more in the final 20 minutes, simple enough.

UNC shoots 12-23, 4-12 from 3, 9-9 from the line. We are 15-26, 0-5, and just 1-3 at the line. They get 9 from SF Esterkamp, 8 from backup SG Appleby and 5 from PG Freedman. No one seems a greater threat than anyone else for UNC, they're all capable scorers at any time.

McCants has one of his best halves ever for us, he's 6-9, 12 points and 7 boards. Sanders scores 6, Sneed 6, Millar 4. Barrett 2 and Alloway 1... Barrett had the only FG for a non-post player, a transition layup in the final 30 seconds. Forte and Alloway both missed 2 open 3's. I'll continue to pound inside obviously as long as it works this often, but we need a little more in transition or from behind the arc if we want to win.
19:07
They score right away, McCants misses a shot inside, gets his own rebound and is fouled by Reid, making both Ft's. That's 3 on Reid, he sits.
14:00
We fall behind by 10 as they hit two open 3's in a row, cut it to 6 on two transition buckets, and it is 6 now as the backups come in. McCants with 16 to lead us, he has 5 offensive boards which has helped the fact that we are still looking for our first 3 pointer to go in. They just do not miss any open shots. Atangana, their star SG, had 4 at the half, he's got 11 now.
13:33
Ahhh, there it is! Mayer with an open 3.
12:05
Mayer with a transition layup and UNC calls a timeout.
10:45
Sanders hits two free throws after being fouled inside to cut it to 1. They get a putback on their end, back up 3, Mayer gets an open 3 from the left corner and drains it!!! Tie game. He has 8 for us in this stretch now, huge minutes from the Freshman. UNC with a timeout after they get it over halfcourt.
10:00
They miss a shot in the post, we board and set up, and Millar makes a little hook shot from the center of the paint, 2 point lead!!
9:35
Huge stretch coming up. McClurkin draws a foul driving on their big man, and during the dead ball UNC gets 4 starters back onto the court that were resting. We still need another 2 to 2 ½ minutes out of the backups, we need to not let them go on a run.
7:40
They hit a 3 but we get 4 more out of Sanders, he has 12 total, and now the starters are ready to come back in. We've put ourselves in a perfect position... starters are in for the duration of the game and we are in a position to win the game. Now to see if we can finish it.
5:45
Two straight 3's by Reid, their 4 who is actually a great shooting 3. The second one we tried to force a transition outlet and they picked it off, setting up an open look, kinda disappointing there, I should have held it up. I get a timeout with the 1 point lead. I actually have 4 timeouts left, UNC just 1.
Forte and Sneed with buckets and we're up 3 with 4 minutes left.
2:45
We get turnovers on two straight plays, scoring once and lead by 5, with the ball, 2:45 to go!
2:00
Sneed misses a hook from the right block, Reid scores fairly quickly for them, and I get a timeout.
1:15
I go to Sneed again, making sure he gets a left handed shot this time(he's a lefty, his last miss was with his right... I am not sure how much this matters, if any). Anyway, he misses this one too, and Reid again with an open look on their end. Reid is making up for all the minutes on the bench with foul trouble for sure. We need a bucket.
0:45
I get my best Clutch shooter, Forte, an open 3, no good and they have Esterkamp unchallenged out on the break, layup, 6th man boost for UNC, and the lead. I get a timeout.
0:25
Arrrrgh. Turnover feeding the post. We only have 3 fouls on the half so it takes a few to get them to the line.
0:20
Freedman to the line, first good, second NO good! MCCants rebound.
0:11
Arrrrrrrrgh again. I was going to call a timeout but Barrett seemed in a decent spot, I outlet up to him, he burns his man but his shot attacking the basket is contested pretty well and off the front rim. No good, and we have to foul. He was in a good spot I just didn't expect the help that they got after Barrett beat his man.
0:09
They make both Fts, I get the ball to half court and call a timeout.
0:07
Forte with a catch and shoot, a hole in the 3-2 defense that I admittedly exploited the heck out of (but what else do you do with 9 seconds left heh). We foul.
0:04.0
Freedman at the line again. First good, second good. I call my last timeout after racing up to half court.

REG
Forte AGAIN. This one isn't as much of an exploit as the last one(I'm on the left side of the court, their defender on this side is taller and quicker), this shot was contested a bit. CLUTCH. OT.

Quick notes at the end of regulation. Esterkamp 15, Reid 12, Freedman 11, Atangana 11 for UNC. Reid's 12 all came in the final 9 minutes of the game.

McCants leads us with 18. Sanders 12 off the bench. Sneed/Forte 10. Alloway is 0-4, all open 3's. Barrett has 6, all in transition.
OT
4:30
We get the ball first, Sneed is fouled, makes both. Sanders comes in for McCants, McCants doesn't have the stamina to finish off the entire OT, he'll sit a minute or so.
OT
Sanders with a steal, up ahead to Alloway, he burns his man and Reid comes in with a great block... wasted chance, and Alloway is just completely off.
OT
3:45
Atangana an open 3. 6th man boost for them on the make.
OT
2:50
Sanders has a hook that rolls around the rim and falls out, Atangana another jumper on their end. I get a timeout, get McCants back in and hopefully kill off that 6th man boost.
OT
2:15
I know I said Alloway was off... but so so so wide open in the corner. Alas, he misses, Esterkamp with a 3 in transition. Another 6th man boost for the Heels.
OT
2:00
A quick dish inside to Sneed who hits a runner over a smaller Reid. Timeout UNC when they get it over midcourt.
OT
1:40
And Alloway with his first field goal!! They make a bad pass, Sneed picks it up, Alloway is up ahead for a big jam, just down 2!!
OT
1:15
McCants with a stupid foul with 10 seconds left on the shot clock, a reach in even. We're at 10 fouls so they shoot 2. Both good.
OT
0:50
Forte breaks down the defense and drives straight up the middle for a layin.
OT
0:28
Good defense, Atangana with a tough shot in traffic inside that is off the front rim, rebound McCants!!
OT
0:20
Heh, moron. I try to force a drive with barrett... see, I get away with this because Barrett is brilliant inside and brilliant in traffic, it works if I have half a step on my man usually. But UNC is filled with 85 rated defenders. It doesn't work here. Stupid stupid. They board his miss in traffic, we foul.
OT
0:13
They make both free throws, we rush it up the court and all of a sudden Alloway is a god, swishing a contested 3!!
OT
0:10
SIGGGGGGGGGH. Great rebounding all game long, their PG makes 1, misses 1 and their center gets the board over McCants. He misses the first so we'll have a shot. He misses both!!! We get the board this time, down 2, 10 seconds left.

We are out of timeouts and cannot set up a play. I get it to Barrett on the right wing, he beats everyone else up the floor, and I am smart enough to not drive into Reid yet again, pulling up for a mid-range jumper, but its well contested and falls off the right rim. No good.

#5 North Carolina 86
#7 Florida State 84
OT

I am not sure I am capable of playing better with this team, aside from just being hot from 3. But this was a hell of an effort against a superior UNC squad in their house. It sucks not winning given the chances we had, but we can go back to Tallahassee with our heads held high, having played the best team we're going to face this year on the road and traded blows with them for 45 minutes.

Atangana and Esterkamp lead them with 18. Reid 14, Freedman 12 and 10 assists.

Forte: 12 points/3 assists/2 steals
Alloway: 6 points
Barrett: 6 points
Sneed: 14 points/4 boards/3 assists
McCants: 18 points/15 boards/2 blocks

Sanders: 12 points
Mayer: 8 points

Last edited by Radii : 05-10-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote