View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #264
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
What about Jim Thorpe then? There was a guy who could play more than one sport.

In my mind this was the clear #1 athlete pick for the U.S. if not a pretty strong one worldwide. I agree with others that the combination of picking an athlete this early and picking a lesser choice from the country is a bad combination.

I love the Adam Smith pick, much more than the Karl Marx praise going around recently. (Even though Marx was a strong pick in a weak category).

I also love the Ghandi pick. When people in the U.S. think of civil rights leaders, they tend to relate that directly to African Americans and their struggles to try to be equal. There are so many minority groups out there, I am really interested to see where people go with that (including civil rights that aren't just about race).

Anyways, great idea for a draft, and I'll be reading along as best as I can, as this is very interesting to me.

Edit: I meant to also mention as far as Athlete goes, I think a close second to Thorpe would have been Jesse Owens (which I think someone else mentioned). He was an amazing athlete in many different fields, but where he accomplished it and when is just as important and probably trumps Thorpe there.

Last edited by Alan T : 05-13-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote