View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #977
Radii
Head Coach

17:55
Well, we score on our first 3 possessions, including two dunks by Sanders. But, they score on their first three possessions too, including a bucket and two free throws from their one big man, who takes sneed out to the perimeter and just abuses him. Sneed played ok defense the first time and I thought made a good stop but got called for a foul, the second time Erwin just went straight to the hole and embarrassed us.
17:45
Ozier with a reach, he's got 3. I'm leaving him in, I'd like him out there but if he picks up a 4th I could do with another 3 point shooter instead, so meh.
15:40
They go back up 9 again and this time we get 4 straight, two transition buckets by Barrett, one after a miss, one after a steal. We get a 3rd stop, Forte misses a 3, Sanders gets the offensive board, but misses the putback. The good news though is that the offensive board got us a 6th man boost. We sure could have used the putback to cut it to three...
13:43
Sanders fails in the post twice in a row and they go back up 8, should have been 9 but they missed a free throw.
13:20
We pick up our fifth foul of the half, trouble brewing there, but the big news here is that See comes down injured after drawing this most recent foul. For now at least, their best player is on the bench.
11:30
Forte hits a 3, he's only 3-10 but all but one of them have been good open shots, and he has 11 points. Barrett has 10, most in transition. We've got the ball back with a chance to get the deficit under 5, and the backups are in. See has a strained Achilles so he can come back but will likely be hobbled.
10:35
Ugh. Alloway misses a jumper, they miss on their end. McCants misses, Day boards, Day misses.... they get the rebound and we foul them. Its our 7th so they're shooting the rest of the way. First FT good, second no good, but they board and put it back in. We had 3 good looks to cut the lead to 3, and instead its an 8 point game.
8:03
They just aren't letting us get anything here... day hits a 3, then goes 1-2 at the lie and we cut it to 4, 47-43. They come right back down and drain a 3. We get a deuce, they get a 3 point play... and its 8 again.
7:13
McClurkin with a 3, they miss, McClurkin out on the break, he goes up for a dunk, he misses but he'sfouled! And misses the first free throw, arrrgggh!!!! He makes the second, and its a 4 point game again.
6:47
Our luck turns, briefly at least! They finally miss a shot after we cut it under 5, missing a wide open 3 actually, and we get on the break, McCants finishing with a layup inside, 2 point game!!!
6:11
Their SG drives, but McCants is there to force a difficult shot, its no good, Hacker(their backup guard that is having a very solid game) pulls it down, goes up again but McCants is still forcing tough looks, Alloway comes out of the lane with it, pushes the ball up the court, pulls up for an open 3 in transition, GOOOOOD. We take the lead!!! 6th man boost for us, timeout Oregon.

I bring the starters back in, and use my first coaching emphasis of the half to stress defense. Don't let them go on a run after this timeout!
4:33
6th man boosts for both teams, this is the “holy shit 1 point game in the final five minutes of the final four” boost as both teams fans go nuts I can only assume(happens in close conference tourney games too). They get two open looks on the baseline, both for McCrommon, he misses both. Our first trip Forte drives but puts up a tough shot over their bigs and misses. The second Sneed hits a turnaround with just a couple seconds left on the shot clock. That's our first basket actually coming from a post move. Sneed and Sanders have a couple dunks inside, McCants a layup in traffic, but this is the first time one of our bigs has caught the ball in the post, backed in a defender and scored on him.

We're on an 11-0 run, timeout Oregon!
2:45
We get a bucket from Barrett and extend our run to 13-0. They respond finally with 4 straight from SF Boylen, back to a 1 point game, our ball. They have not brought their star guard, See, back in yet. Their backups are very very good so its probably better having a healthy backup.
2:26
Barrett burns his man and drives, drawing a foul. Both Fts good. They have only 4 team fouls now(we're at 8 I believe). Timeout Oregon.
2:13
They go to PF Erwin on the baseline who hits an open jumper, one point game.
1:43
Sanders beats his man in the post for a layup, back up to a 3 point lead, under 2 to go! Sanders has 8 now. Oregon with another timeout, they're burning through them like crazy now, just one left.
1:39
Barret fouls their center as he cuts to the basket and goes up strong. He makes the first but misses the second, we rebound!
1:00
We try twice to get Sanders a look inside, he catches the ball in really tough spots to score though. At the end of the shot clock Forte puts a move on his man to create enough space to get off a shot, but its not really a good one, and its no good. Oregon ball.
0:43
They get it inside to Erwin who seems fairly open, Forte and Sanders are... kinda standing near him? As he goes up and dinks a hook off the front rim. He picks it back up, goes up again and Sanders alters his shot, its off the rim again, Sneed rebounds!!!! 10 second difference in the game and shot clock.
0:10.1
We work it into Sneed, he can't get a good shot, kicks it out to Forte, fakes his man into the air, sidesteps, takes the 3 he's been making reliably all season for me, but this one isn't good. However, SANDERS!!!! offensive rebound!!! He's fouled immediately.
0:06.6
They have to commit 2 more fouls before we're shooting free throws. I make sure Barrett is the one to get to the line. The biggest free throw of Barrett's life...GOOD!!! the second free throw.... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pull my defenders back, Ozier is still stupid enough to commit a foul, and they make two free throws but its just with a second left, Forte catches the ball and the clock expires.

Barrett is the player of the game with 16 points, he was very good today. Sanders' bucket inside with 1:43 left to put us up 62-59 is the pontiac game changing performance.

(1) Florida State 64
(2) Oregon 62

Their superstar PG See plays 22 minutes, doesn't miss a shot and scores only 8 points. If he didn't get injured the outcome could have very, very easily been different. Oregon fans will certainly be lamenting his loss on message boards across the country tomorrow.

SF Boylan scored 15 for them and was very good throughout. Backup guard Hacker scored 9, and pulled down 8 boards. PF Erwin had 7 points/7 boards. Their only letdown was SG Birley, he was cold in the first half, and once See went down, he had Barrett sticking to him for much of the second half. Birley went 1-5 from 3 point land and just 1-8 from the floor for 3 points.

Forte: 11 points/2 assists/2 steals (4-15, 3-12 from 3)
Barrett: 16 points/2 boards
Ozier: 2 points/6 boards
Sneed: 6 points/7 boards
Sanders: 8 points/9 boards

Alloway: 7 points
McClurkin: 6 points
Day: 6 points
McCants: 2 points/5 boards
Millar: 0 points/0 boards/1 assist

We end up shooting 22-54, 6-21 from 3. Forte's average would be something like 5-12, but he was a bit off today. He still drained a few very big shots for us.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote