View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #1016
Radii
Head Coach

7:35
We get it as close as 7, and the starters come back in down 8. Porter reedems himself with a 3 point play, a good drive and finally making a 3 to get us going here. Troester hits another 3, 4-4 this half, and gets a layup and an alley oop dunk after we throw the ball away in the back court... he's got 26 and seems unstoppable. I don't think he's missed this half.
5:35
We cut it to 6... the push it to 13, getting the last 5 from PF Andres, a 3 point play to cap off this run that is coming close to burying us. We simply cannot stop them consistently. I call a timeout.
3:00
Still 13 with just 3 to go, we need to make something happen fast if we're going to get a shot at the end.
2:07
They hit 1 at the line. Mayer gets a thunderous 3 point play on our end, a two handed dunk going right through Andres, who is called for the foul. We get a stop and Mayer hits a 3, and its down to 8 with just over 2 minutes to go.
1:50
6th man boost after htat last play, UNC throws it away in the backcourt! Mayer attacks the rim and gets fouled. He only makes 1 of 2, the lead is down to 7.
1:15
We play a full possession of good defense and force Andres into a miss in the post. Outlet to Mayer who burns Coombs and dunks it home! Mayer has our last 10 in a row now and has taken over here.
1:00
Another turnover in the backcourt, Troester gets run out of bounds by McClurkin. We run a play that gets McCants the ball and he attacks inside and we trail by 3!
0:38
They gon inside to Coombs. He's fouled going up hard. He makes 1 of 2 and we trail by 4 with 38 seconds left. We have 9 team fouls so assuming we score and need to foul, they'll already be shooting 2.
0:18
I go in to McCants, who kicks it out to Mayer. Mayer misses an open 3 but McCants gets the board and the putback. That took too long.
0:18
We foul Stockman. First good, second off the front rim!
0:10
We push it a bit but don't see anything right away, so I call a timeout. McClurkin, Day, and Mayer are all 80+ from 3.
0:03.7
Day with a lighly contested 3 from the right wing, GOOOD

REG
They throw a long pass that we tip away, no last second shot. OVERTIME! What a comeback!!!! We were down 13 with 3 minutes to go and went on a 16-3 run. I've never come back from a double digit deficit that late in a game before, of course we haven't won, but even to force OT.

Troester is just killing us. He has 27, he's 10-11 from the floor, 6-6 from 3. PF Andres has 16, SF Coombs 10. After a 3-10 first half, UNC goes 5-9 from 3 in the second half. They're still shooting just over 50%.

McCants has another good, consistent game all the way through, he's got 18 for us, shooting 9-12 inside. Mayer starts off 3-11 and makes 4 of his last 5 shots, he's 7-16 from the field, 1-8 from 3 heh. Mayer has 18. Day and Millar have 9 and 8, McClurkin just 2, I need more from him on offense than I'm getting.

McCants has 4 fouls. No one else on either team is in foul trouble.
OT
4:45
WE LEAD!!! Just what the doctor ordered too, McClurkin off a screen, drains a 3. We really need him hitting those 3's, that is the thing we had last year that we are missing the most, the 2 or 3 3's a game from our PG. UNC calls a timeout. We have 4, they have 2, so rest/to's are not a problem.
OT
4:13
Worst possible result for us. McCants fouls out on our first defensive possession. Black comes in for him. Black has played his best game of the year today, 8 points/10 boards off the bench, which is a silver lining at least. They go 1-2 at the line.
OT
3:45
Mayer feeds Millar inside who draws a foul. Millar is in double figures as he hits both.
OT
3:25
They work it around and get an open 18 footer for SG Stockman which rolls around the rim before dropping in.
OT
3:06
Troester fouls McClurkin. Its their 7th. We make both.
OT
2:59
We are just foul happy.. Black with a stupid reach in, and he has 3 fouls now heh. They make both.
OT
2:20
Mayer gets by Coombs but meets resistance inside and misses a tough shot. They get a 3 from Coombs on the other end to take the lead. I get a timeout.
OT
1:45
I didn't want to use the whole shot clock but we really struggle to get a good look. We end up rotating the ball to Day in the left corner, who misses a 3.
OT
1:30
Andres basically absuses Black inside. He's got 20 and they lead by 3.
OT
0:48
Well... they go back to their 3-2 zone, they'd been playing man for awhile now, and I decide that Day won't miss twice in a row, he does. They score. Then I get another wide open look for McClurkin, nope, no good. We foul and they make 1 of 2 to go up 6.
OT
0:40
Now Day decides to hit one, just down 3.
OT
0:37
Stockman misses the first... makes the second after we foul right away.
OT
0:24
Day just cannot hit two in a row to save his life. We foul and they hit both, sigh.

I never understand how, against these zone defenses that allow you to get 3 pointers with no one within 5 feet of you in any direction that 3 point shooters rated 90+ with confidence boosts can consistantly miss time after time, but that's the way it works. I just never seem to learn

#18 North Carolina 100
#8 Florida State 91
OT

We open ACC play with two losses to the better teams in the league. We've got Clemson next, at their house, and are worried about an 0-3 start now. They end up with 28 from Troester and 20 from Andres. All starters in double figures, their Center Powers has 11 points/13 boards on the day.

McClurkin: 7 points/4 assists
Day: 12 points (3-10 from 3)
Mayer: 18 points/4 assists
Millar: 10 points/4 boards
McCants: 18 points/10 boards

Porter: 12 points
Black: 8 points/10 boards

A full half of our shots were from 3 point land today. With McCants shooting 9-12 when we got him the ball, that's totally unacceptable. And that's my fault, I let the 3-2 zone do that to me at times, but its always better to work inside instead of passing around the perimeter for a 3. Even if I take a lot of 3's a lot more of them need to come out of passes from the post, creating even bigger open shots that seem to go down more often.

Mayer had one great stretch at the end of regulation today but has been inconsistent in our two ACC games so far. McCants, however, has been simply outstanding. Mayer seems like he could go for 30 at any time but is going to have terribly off nights. Hopefully McCants can keep up this high level of play.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote