View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #620
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency:

42 players, 16 million in cap room.

Time to bite the bullet.

I trade 11 year vet Grady Pender to Tennessee for their 2 and 6 round picks (#34 in each round).

Time for a new start.

I cut WR Gerald Branch. He was making too much this year.

I extend OG Bruce Holliday by two years

No surprise that I traded Pender to make way for my new backs. This next trade may surprise you a lot, though.

I trade RB Butch Carlson, my 4th, 7th, 6th and a 6th/36 I’m sitting on to the 49ers for their 1/20 pick.

Carlson was in the final year of his rookie deal and it would cost way too much to resign him when I have a better back on my roster. If I am changing I should really change all of the way.

I sign FB Tracy Kramer to a professional contract, a rarity for me and FB but he really contributed last year.

I trade backup QB Jesse Floyd to the Ravens for their 2/16 pick. I’ve shown you Floyd before and you know he’s a solid backup role player type QB. Before this trade, Baltimore did not even have a QB on their roster, so I think it’s a solid trade.

I have two starters in their final year - LB Jeff Grier and OT Roger Fisher. I still gotta pay DE Floyd Gardner too.

No chasing the FA. There is a good LB there I could chase but he’s too old and expensive. Bad combo.

C Les Morris busted a bit, not much, but a bit and I just noticed. Sigh.

I get nice trade offers for Kramer, Carman and Carlisle (my sophomore RB who I am now going to be running with). I get a 1/9 for Carlisle offered to me and I am saying no. I have my guy.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote