View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
A few more thoughts on this, because I really disagree strongly with almost every word you've written.

Oh the irony, that I find myself much more closely aligned with Rainmaker's p.o.v. on this one. (As I recall, he & I don't exactly have a long history of being on the same page)

Quote:
Standing on the sidelines gives us nothing. It earns us no respect from the regime, if they remain in power. It earns us no respect from the Iranian people, if they seize power. I keep reading this nebulous argument of not giving the mullahs any ammunition.

Saying anything on the subject also gives us jack shit, beyond maybe some vague delusion that we had a positive influence on the outcome.
IF (and there isn't a big enough nor bold enough font to emphasize that IF) there's a regime change or "revolution" in Iran, it won't come from the people who wrote their signs in English hoping to play to some anonymous American TV viewer, it'll be the people who were ready to fight & die to get it because they want it, not because the U.S. government nor Saint Obama nor Paula Abdul nor Ronald freakin' McDonald said they supported their noble efforts. An outgunned populace isn't going to create a revolution on our words, ask the Cubans how well that works. In the end, if you aren't backing it up with something more tangible than some empty platitudes (and FTR I'm not remotely suggesting that we should in this instance) then the only benefit to saying virtually anything is all in our heads.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-19-2009 at 07:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote