View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Mizz,

You are basing this on what?................I think that the younger generation is Pro-WEST not necessarily Pro US.

This goes back to the politics vs. people discussion. The politicians use the anti-US angle to the fullest extent. The Persian people love U.S. society and everything it demonstrates. But they also want to keep Islam as an integral part of their system because their religion is very important to how they live. The conservative side of the population wants decisions based on Islam. The progressive side of the population wants Islam to be a religion, not a form of governance. That obviously creates a huge conflict and power struggle that is tough to sort out.

I'm very fortunate that I have three Iranian-American friends that I eat lunch with on a daily basis. I've learned a lot about the country talking to them over the past three years as they tell me about the country and how their family members in Iran live. It's been even more incredible to hear them talk about the daily reports and what the various events mean to the leaders, the military, the militias, and both groups in the general public. It makes U.S. politics seem simple.

There's rumblings of a strike coming sometime this week starting with the oil industry. A similar oil strike occurred in 1979 and took down the Shah's regime. If the strike happens, expect big changes to occur quickly.

Looks like the non-partisan nod fell off the wagon over the weekend. Hopefully we can right the ship today.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-22-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote