View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #643
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
My wife grabbed my copy of "A Game of Thrones" over the weekend, and is hooked. She's a lover of happy endings, so I told her to not get too attached to anyone or any situation.

I've been done for 3 weeks or so, and I'm still conflicted. Part of me loved the books, but part of me feels unfulfilled (not just because the series isn't done). I really don't think the author will ever finish the series, which sucks. As slow as he is writing, and the fact that there are so many threads of the story that aren't even close to being resolved gives me little hope of resolution.

I have similar concerns. He's certainly written himself into many, many corners and, I think, that's one of the big reasons this last book is taking so long. There are a number of issues that I just don't know how he resolves. Some of the bigger ones, to me at least, are: How does Tyrion become relevant again? How does Arya become relevant? Bran? Dany's dragons? For the last three it's really just a matter of time, but given how slowly time has moved and how many things from the last book demmand immediate attention (the fates of Arya, Brienne, Cersei, and Sansa) , I don't see how time will progress quick enough to get them in a position they need to be (i.e., Bran mastering whatever the hell he's supposed to master, Arya becoming an actual Faceless Man, unless this whole thing is just some frolic and detour, and Dany's dragons being large enough to be ridden into battle and effective at doing so).

For Tyrion, I'm not sure what he'll do. What value is he to anyone other than as a way to gain favor from the Lannisters in the form of bringing them his head? The only thing that made him a "player" was his family's wealth and power. He doesn't have that anymore. All he is now is a witty, smart, ugly and horribly scarred dwarf with a large price on his mishapen head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
My wife grabbed my copy of "A Game of Thrones" over the weekend, and is hooked. She's a lover of happy endings, so I told her to not get too attached to anyone or any situation.

Poor, Mrs. Schmidty. She sounds like a young Sansa, her head full of songs and stories. She might just quit right around the end of book one. Many people, myself included, found that very upsetting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-23-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote